Older woman puzzled about “mild” chemop

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

I’d like to understand what “mild” chemo means! I’ve been philosophical about my reduced life expectancy, but in a month I’m likely to start a regimen of Rituximab and mi

ld chemo. ID like to know what do expect (assuming I’m able to tolerate it.

Thanks! Claire c

• Hi   and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I don’t have Mantle Cell Lymphoma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (NHL) eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

If you look through the following link you will see that Mantle cell lymphoma is a rare type of Lymphoma as it can carry the characteristics of both High Grade (fast growing) NHLs or Low Grade (slow growing) NHLs……. so treatments used have to be tailored to your specific type…… have you been told the name of your specific type of Mantle Cell?

But as with everyone going into treatments a patients age and existing health conditions are taken into account when setting their treatment protocol. So reduced levels ‘mild’ versions of the many treatment regimes can be used.

Some drugs used in the treatment of Lymphomas are very toxic….. but they have to be as their purpose is to kill off the cancer cells in all the body.….. but it’s important that your general well-being is taken into account so reductions in toxicity are set to allow you to have the treatment and look for good results. 

My many treatments over my 24 years have always been aimed at getting me into partial remission as my type of NHL is incurable but I am over 7 years out from my last treatment, I turned 67 last Nov and I am continuing to living a great life.

I had Rituximab as part of my main chemo and it was a very effective treatment. Rituximab is a monoclonal antibody therapy that sticks to a protein called CD20. I had over 750hrs of Rituximab and I did ok with it.

Have you been told the name of the chemo you are having?….. these are often shown as an acronym……. I had R-EPOCH.

As you prepare for treatment you may find the following link helpful Top Tips for the day of your Chemotherapy as it’s a collection of thoughts from people who have been through treatment.

I am sure that you have a lot of questions so do ask them and we will help as best as we can ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge