New kid on the block

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all

Recently diagnosed MCL, last week's PET scan revealed I am Stage 2E and so am getting PICC line on 25th to start Nordic R-MAXI-CHOP cycle 1 of 6.

Not looking forward to it in the slightest, so would love to hear some success stories and happy thoughts.  Everyone has been very supportive so far, work and friends, and the lovely team at the hospital are very positive.

I hope to chat with many of you over the coming months and support others with what I learn through my treatment.

• Hi there

I had a different aggressive form of B Cell NHL (DLBCL) but R-CHOP was my primary treatment.  You'll be having one additional chemo drug.

R-CHOP is rough.  I thought I was sailing through it, but it hit me like a ton of bricks after the second cycle.  And I had to have two cycles of high dose methotrexate after I'd finished R-CHOP - each one of those involved 5 days in hospital.

You will get into a rhythm of managing faster than you'd believe.  The side effects tend to be predictable, so you will know when they're going to start each cycle and when they will start to ease.

Please don't suffer side effects in silence until your next appointment/treatment.  Get onto your team about them immediately.

I have now officially been in remission for two years.  The period when I was going through treatment almost seems like another life now.

Although MCL is rare, NHL is not so there are always plenty of us around who have gone through similar treatment to what you'll be having.  Just yell out if we can help in any way.

• Hello! Good luck with your treatment. 
    My biggest side effect of the Nordic RCHOP was the nausea and lack of appetite, but the nurses were fab at getting me the right medications to feel better, so do phone them if your medications aren't helping, there are lots of different types available. When the nausea was better I had cravings for things I wouldn't normally eat, so there was lots of shopping for different foods! 

Best wishes

• Many thanks for the reply and the encouraging words.  I'm mentally preparing for a tough time ahead, it's great to hear that there can be light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not a train).  Well done for getting through it.

• Thanks for the reply @WoodlandFells and the useful advice - as long as I don't get a craving for Marmite, we're all good!