New to this!

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everybody,

my hubby was diagnosed just before Christmas, at first they thought it was an aggressive bowel cancer. He had an operation to remove the tumour from his bowel and they then told us it was a lymphoma. We have now been told that it is mantel cell. The dr told us this was more positive news as it reacts well to treatment? He has his first appointment at Christie’s next week. I googled and wished k hadn’t as everything k saw was really negative and basically said he didn’t have long!!! I’m all new to this and confused!!!

• Hi again  and good that your husband has received a clearer diagnosis of Mantel Cell Lymphoma.

Google can throw up a 1000 answers and only a few can be accurate and the rest just not helpful so good information is important.

The BOLD link above is taken from the Lymphoma Action website. Lymphoma Action is a small but very active UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos and run regular Regional Online Lymphoma Online Support Groups and indeed a very great Lymphoma Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey.

It is important that you are ready for your first appointment at Christe's (great hospital so he is in safe hands) this LINK is all about what questions you should be looking to get answered for at these appointments.

Always around to help you navigate this and answer questions ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thankyou, it’s hard as I am not allowed to go to the appointment with him! They have said that they are only allowing patients on campus at the minute due to covid 

• Covid has made this far more challenging but you can ask that all appointments are put on to speakerphone so you can listen in and and ask questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Mike's suggestion about speakerphone is a really good one. I had quite a lot of time in hospital last year with no visitors allowed; and it gets hard to remember all the stuff the doctors tell you. Wish I'd thought of speakerphoning those sessions to my partner - it would have helped a lot.

Really good advice, Mike..