Referred for initial xray terrified.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 22 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hi all Im 53 year old woman and have been suffering from a dry cough for about three years now.After the first year I went to the Drs and was referred for an endoscopy.They found some irritation and I have been on omrazepole for about two years for the cough but it hasnt gone away. I recently fell which resulted in a sprained wrist.This has now healed,I think but just recently when I cough my shoulder really hurts.Infact it hurts constantly.My GP has now referred me for an xray and says I should have had one long before now.I have had chest complaints as a child (bronchitis) and although I dont smoke I have been around adults who smoke all of my childhood. I am really worried and hoping its a muscular problem but I have a tightness in my throat and have felt my throat was tightening for some time now...Has any one had anything similiar.Please dont be afraid of frightening me.Im  a knowledge is power person - thanks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi natashas,

Welcome to the site and I am sure you will know that it's a long way from diagnosis and there are loads of other things your symptoms can be.  The one thing you can be sure about is how you feel and if things don't feel right then they're not right.

Let us know how you get on and don't give up on the investigations 

Wishing you all the best 

Albondigas x 

• Hi Natashas. I won't go into what I have been through as it's on my Profile. I do tend to rabbit on....ask the others! Welcome here. The people on this forum are wonderful and have helped me through a lot already so you will get a lot of support   here. I wasn't well for 3 year's before I got pneumonia and they found the tumour although it had shown on an Xray a year and a half before. I was so tired, had pain under my ribs, stomach problems but no cough. The hospital had actually left me for 3 years with the wrong diagnosis so I had cancer and they made me think I was neurotic. Never have been, never will be! I then got pneumonia and my lovely Thoracic Consultant found the tumour in the top right lobe of right lung and asked why nothing had been done after the first Xray and was not happy when I said I knew nothing about it. 

I, also, am on Omeprazole and find that I also need Gaviscon sometimes. Omeprazole twice a day and Gaviscon when it's really bad. I had occasional pain in my right shoulder for years but usually when I overdid the digging in the garden so I never worried because I thought that it was muscle spasm.

I would just add that please don't get put off by any Consultant and if you continue to be worried then ask for a 2nd opinion. I was " lucky "in that I had the top lobe removed last year and am  now waiting for results of a follow up scan because my Consultant has seen " something" at the bottom of the right lung. If they do think you have something you will probably have a few tests to go through before you get a definite answer.  Please let us know how you get on. The medics can do so much to help us now so please don't see it as the worst thing. Everybody has different experiences and I didn't think I would get to know people online on this forum who are SO brave, funny and I care about all of them so if you need us we are here for you. I hope and pray that you will be clear.

All the best,

Annie x

Danni 88
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much.I know Im getting 'carried away' but my mum suffered throat cancer and my sister breast cancer.Cant help feeling its my turn now.Will keep posting about how it goes.Thank you so much for your reply.

• FormerMember

hi natashas   the only way to get through this is to think positive.  we are all in the same boat in here. if you look at profiles you will see how tough some have had it.  hope this helps you  take care

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Danni88

Thank you so much Annie,you have brought tears to my eyes with your kindness.Am such an emotional wreck at the moment!.lol.

The Dr did seem puzzled that I wasnt offered a chest x ray from my previous GP and I now realise I should have pushed for one.Any way hope it wont be too long before the appointment comes.I noticed you also suffered from tiredness.I have been tired for 2-3 years but it has been brushed off as my age,depression etc.Will be relieved to finally get to know whats going on ( I think).

Thank you again for your kindess.I will keep posting just in case it it helpful to some one is same position.

natasha x

• FormerMember

Thank you so much Derek for your reply and encouragement.It really helps to know there is some one to talk to.

• Morning natashas. It's fine...we all go through the emotional wreck thing. I have been through such a range of emotions, especially in the beginning,  that that alone exhausted me! I don't know whether the other's will agree but the tiredness isn't the usual but cancer tiredness seems to have something extra. I felt sort of labelled as a " neurotic woman"  especially by one Consultant who was a large bowel Consultant! After about a year I exploded and asked him why he kept sending me for bowel scans etc. when I kept telling him that the pain was under my right ribs...and told him a lot more! My husband sat there with his mouth open but he has this misplaced awe of Consultant's  which a lot of people do I think and when you feel really ill you haven't got the energy to fight but somehow you have to find the oomph to make sure they listen!

Do you know how long it takes for scan appointments where you live? It might be worth asking your Dr. how long and my Dr. has asked for urgent C.T.'s otherwise you will be looking for a letter every day! If it's of any help, I kept telling myself while I was waiting that if I kept worrying I wouldn't be as well as I could be for any treatment and worrying myself sick wouldn't change the outcome of the diagnosis. Everybody deals with this in their own way....that sounds quite trite and I don't mean it too.

You will have a lot of support from people here and there is so much that can be done  now. Cancer Research have done amazing work. I hope that you get your scan soon but if you are feeling alone it's good to post here because you are never alone with people who understand.  Take care.

Love,

Annie xx

Danni 88
  • Hi Derek. How are you today? I was going to post yesterday but had non stop visitor's and ended up exhausted. Friend's coming because they were so upset about our dog so yesterday was a very tearful day and I didn't have time to do anything much! Are you going to see the Dr. or the Nurse today? Will write more later. I hope today will be a better day for you. Look after yourself please.

Love,

Annie xx

Danni 88
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Danni88

hi danni going to see nurse as doctor app 4 weeks away. was told to tell them if i coughed up blood wasn't going to bother but wife insisted.  wednesday 10.30 am. take care. regards the dog we had a bichon  frise  cost me £4k in treatment then told me it would come back and was in great pain. tough time was not even 6. 

• Hi Derek. You have a good wife there and am glad you are going to see the Nurse. Your waiting times are worse than ours and you would think the Dr. would see you sooner after everything you have been and are going through. I hope they send you for a scan. There's always flipping something! 

Your poor little dog and your poor bank balance or were you insured? I stopped Shadow's insurance because when he was 9 in January the Insurance company doubled his insurance because of his age. Am dreading getting the bill but they have us over a barrel knowing how much we love our animals. Horrible for you both to see him in pain. My husband will definitely not get another dog because it hurts so much when they go.

Good luck tomorrow.  Been up nearly all night...Oramorph didn't work and I'm wheezing and crackling! Going into the garden for a little while. Hope you aren't coughing up more blood. xx

Danni 88