Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Chemotherapy

Marimba
Posted by

Went to see the oncology doctor today.I have to have Vinorelbine and Cisplatin , has anyone had this treatment?   Ellen

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi Marimba

Sorry me again, but yes I had this combination. Cisplatin can be quite rough nausea wise vinolberine I found to be absolutely fine. I did react a bit more than most apparently, so I am hoping you will find it easier than me. For cycle 2 I was given the anti sickness by IV which helped a lot. For cycle 3 I was swopped to Carboplatin which was much easier for me. So rest assured they will adapt and adjust if need be.

Is there anything particular you wanted to know?

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
Marimba
Posted by

Thankyou Gina , I should be starting my treatment in around 2 weeks will let you know how I get on. Ellen

Marimba
Posted by

Thankyou Gina , I should be starting my treatment in around 2 weeks will let you know how I get on. Ellen

Ginajsy
Posted by

No Worries

Not sure if they have said yet, but you will need a good thermometer just to keep an eye on yourself in case you run any temperatures.

They will give you a 24/7 line to contact along with examples of when you may need to contact them.

I found my tastes changed during chemotherapy, I usually drink tea for Britain, but not sure if it was the chemotherapy or the English milk (I am used to good old Jersey milk) but I barely drunk a cup. Instead I drank tonnes of orange juice and seemed to want bananas! Maybe because they were small and easy on the stomach. Oh and BBQ Hula hoops! 

I would get lots of handy snacks or easy to make things to hand. I found with the nausea the first 3/4 days of the cycle I didn't really want to eat, but if I did feel like eating, the notion would pass quite quickly. So having something that you can grab or make very quickly is handy. Partly as well because I slept an awful lot and I wasn't in my own home, so by the time I had gone to the shop to get what I wanted to eat and prepared it I would be falling asleep in my plate. But I had radiotherapy at the same time which would have contributed to the lathergy.

Best of luck with treatment, any questions please ask, I will do my best to answer them.

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
anniekins
Posted by

Hi Ellen, I also had this combination and the oncologist stopped the course at session 4. By then I had been admitted to hospital twice for a week, once with sepsis, once with neutropenia and with 6 days of the double dose I was in a wheelchair every time unable to walk across a room due to lack of breath. 

Dont mean to scare you, so many people cope extremely well with it and it’s a very tried n tested regime. I heard more stories of folk sailing through it. Just my luck it didn’t suit me! I had no sickness though or diarrhoea, just bad constipation. 

Also it was virtually impossible to get cannulas into me so ended up having a pic line which got blocked.....the whole experience was horrendous if I’m honest! Everything went wrong that could go wrong BUT I’ve had 2 clear scans since so it did it’s job and I’m truly grateful!

Lots of luck for when you start, like another post said keep checking your temperature  I had sepsis without feeling ill at all x

Anne
Marimba
Posted by

Thanks Gina , that helps a lot to know what I mine expect   Ellen

Marimba
Posted by

Thankyou for your reply sounds as though you had a bad time but so glad you've had clear scans . Will definitely keep checking my temperature. Ellen x