Chemo

• 4 replies
  • 162 subscribers

Hi I am new on here and I am about to start chemo in a few weeks. I am really scared about the side effects of the chemo can anyone give me any information about their experiences of chemo.

Thanks. 

• Hi   welcome to the group, but sorry you find yourself here. I haven’t had chemo myself but hopefully someone who has will be along shortly to share their experience with you.

The thought of any treatment is scary, but you have a lot of support from your medical team. You will be given anti sickness medication to take home with you, and a contact number to call if you have any concerns with the side effects. Everyone reacts differently to chemo, but I think it is important to listen to your body, rest when you need too, try and eat a healthy diet and get outside for a walk when you feel up to it. 

If you know the name of the chemo that you will be on, it may be helpful for others to share their experience with you. Wishing you all the best. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chellesimo,

thanks for your message much appreciated. the chemo I am going to be on is called Vinorelbine and Cisplatin. 
    Has anyone had their hair coloured whilst having chemo and if so what plant based colour dye did they use.?

• Hi holmelacy

Everyone reacts to chemo differently, so you may experience a few side effects or no side effects at all.

Both of the chemo type have the usual potential side effects e.g. low blood cell counts, nausea, upset tummy,tiredness, hair loss/thinning etc.

How long will your chemo treatment be for? I only ask as if it is a relative short period i.e 12 weeks, it may be better to have it coloured before the treatment starts.

Good luck with the chemo. It may feel tough at times but it is very doable.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hello holmelacy,

I had these two several years ago, and as Kegsy says side effects can vary. I had a few of these but nothing that could not be overcome by seeking help from the chemo team. A couple of tips from my experience if you encounter the same:

- you'll probably be given some tablets to take after each treatment such as anti sickness, steroids etc.. Make sure you take them as directed whether you feel the need to do so or not - they're designed to prevent this happening in the first place.

- I had mouth ulcers and some constipation in later cycles. If this happens it is easily dealt with via your chemo team or GP who can prescribe the right remedy for you, I suggest you ask them straight away for help and don't waste money and time with over the counter medicines at the chemist as they probably won't work very well (if at all).

I hope you go through the treatment well and that it is successful for you.

Derek.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.