Hi can anybody give me some advice please - High ALT enzymes

• 2 replies
  • 155 subscribers

Hi I posted in another group and was directed here …

Hi everyone, my husband has incurable lung cancer stage 4 adenocarcinoma which has spread to the lymph nodes, pericardial fluid, and base of skull as far as we know - he had a pericardial window surgery in June and has been having chemo and immunotherapy since July he’s now just had his fourth treatment after it has been deferred once for low neutrophils and last time for high ALT (291) reading on liver function tests, he had a ct-scan on Sunday everywhere from his neck to his pelvis.  

he is now getting pain in his arms and hands and hip and feet, he’s putting weight on and eating well due to the steroids but doesn’t seem well at all sleeping more, has visual disturbances he also gets confused easily, he’s also saying he feels like he’s about to pass out or fit (he has syncope episodes) and that everything is slower than normal 

Does anyone know anything about why his ALT readings would be so high and what this could mean, is this something I need to be concerned about - thank you for reading and for anyone who replies.

• Hello, 

Not sure if my reply will help but my chemo has currently been deferred due to high ALT - I am trying to finish cycle 4! I had this on my first or second cycle too (I can’t remember which one!) and my reading was 234 at the highest. I was prescribed steroids to help the liver repair but there didn’t seem any concern from consultant. Just that time was needed for it to get better. 

I found the steroids didn’t help with sleep and in fact, did the opposite and caused insomnia. 
    I also get confused. 

Not sure about the rest of your points and I hope someone can help with those. 

Ann-Marie 

• Thank you Anne Marie x