New here Dad lung cancer, how to help Mum

• 4 replies
  • 156 subscribers

Hello, 

I've found this group as I was looking at how I can support my mum.

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in Feb. He's always been the fittest person, no medication, aged 77, run marathons, briskly walks the dog twice a day. So this diagnosis has been a shock and him being unwell is hard for him to deal with, and for my mum.

He had a month of chemo/radio. Had 1st immunotherapy. Did a big job at home, removing a staircase to the loft..then caught an infection and has been floored. Was in hospital for 5 days then home for 2 weeks. He's now back in hospital under a respiratory team trying to rid him of infection so he's well enough for a 2nd immunotherapy before the 12 week nhs cut off. 

We've all realised we haven't taken this diagnosis seriously enough, we're seeing it for what it is now. 

He's depressed about it all. My mum isn't coping well. It's hard to stay positive and focus on the silver linings. 

I'm not sure what I'm asking. I wanted to share as a newbie. I want to support my Dad and Mum right now.

Thank you.

• Hi there, I'm in similar position as you. My dad was diagnosed in July and due radiotherapy next week. Followed by immunotherapy. He's in his early 80s and generally is in good health until now. 

I honestly haven't really been there for my mum as I've been so focused on my Dad over the last 6 weeks. I don't know how to manage the situation either as my Dad is the priority at the moment. He has a lot of pain and we can't control it (hence why the radiotherapy).

• Thanks for your reply xx

I'm glad I've joined Macmillan. Up to know we've just muddled along but I think there comes a point where you just need some help and see how others cope. 

• Your dad has to be very careful not to catch infections. I have had immunotherapy treatment for lung cancer for one year and have been in hospital several times with infections I caught for various reasons. He should take it easy and try light exercise or walking.

• Thanks Anastasia42, and I hope you're feeling well at the moment.