Hi, I'm new

• 4 replies
  • 151 subscribers

Hi,

I thought I would reach out to this forum just to help me feel like we aren't alone.

On Wednesday we got the dreaded news that my dad has stage 3 lung cancer. It is squamous type and is spread to the lymph nodes in his chest. He's only 60 years old but has a vast medical history, which means that surgery would kill him, chemo and immunotherapy would kill him, so he has been offered 5 rounds of radiotherapy. 

Does anyone have advice about the radiotherapy? What to expect, does it have a good success rate of slowing things down? The doctor said expecting him to live 2-3 years is optimistic for someone who's health is better than his, so my mind is in turmoil not knowing how much longer we have with him.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your dad's  diagnosis and proposed treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Claire and sorry to hear about your dad. Firstly you may find the friends and family support group very helpful with advice from others in your position. Secondly I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago and treated by radiotherapy only. Thankfully it’s holding the cancer at bay. Your dad should have a lung cancer nurse assigned to him and any questions you may have can be directed to the nurse. Everyone on this group are very supportive whenever you have queries or need extra support. All the best. 
    Denise x 

• Thank you, I have updated this.

• Thank you for your reply. I spoke with his allocated nurse on Friday, she is going to find out when his radiotherapy is scheduled for. 

I'm sorry you are going through this but it does help to hear how well you have done. My dad has called all his family and said he is dying, I hope he has a better outcome than he is expecting.