Partner has small cell lung cancer

• 15 replies
  • 147 subscribers

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has a partner with the same diagnosis I would like to hear how your doing 

• Hello Lindy,  my dad has SCLC, diagnosed in Feb and started his round of Chemo at the start of April. Everything turned around pretty quickly which we are very thankful for. My dad's mass is only small but contained so we are hopeful that the chemo will do its job and keep it at bay for the next few years! I won't say it's been easy but keeping positive does get you through it. Since my dads first chemo treatment, he has had some good and bad days, the worse side effect being mood swings. He has days we're he can eat more and then some days we're he eats less but we are all just trying to keep momentum up. He is due his round this Thursday with 2 more to go after that.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions ask away:) 

• Hi Louise thank you for the reply I really appreciate it. My partner was diagnosed in February after a bad cough that wouldn't go after the x-ray everything moved quickly he's had 2 rounds of chemo 3rd one was supposed to be Friday just gone but his blood cells hadn't come up enough so bloods this Friday and fingers crossed chemo Monday. He hasn't had a lot of side effects just sickness and I had to shave his hair off as it  was coming out a lot which was hard for us both like your dad his eating is hit and miss he has fortisip drinks prescribed for him.  Have you been asked about radio therapy x

• No my dad is too weak for Radiotherapy so we have chemo for an option for now so I think the plan is to complete the 4 rounds and then see what's next. It all sounds very positive with your husband too. I have found this website so comforting and helpful since joining and reading similar stories have given us some hope too. 

• We're the same 4 rounds of chemo my partner wasn't strong enough to mix the radio either he's had a bad few days with his appetite but fingers crossed bloods will be ok monday and chemo want be delayed again. I wish your dad all the luck in the world x

• Hi Lindy,

My partner diagnosed with SCLC in february too. He has had 1 round of chemo and immunotherapy so far. He's already suffering a few side effects - mouth ulcers, constipated, sleeping badly, no appetite. We are hoping the steroids are causing most of it and in a few days it'll improve. Next round of chemo 2 weeks on Thursday! 

• Hi I hope the ulcers calm down soon my partner had corsodyl mouth wash for his worked really well. My partner hasn't been offered the immunotherapy he's just had his 3rd chemo and last one will be June every 3 weeks I will ask about the immunotherapy as no one had mentioned it.  The steroids will help with your partners appetite my partner had the same trouble. How are you coping with it all. We will know by the end of June if the chemo is working. I wish you both all the luck in the world 

• Hi Lindy,

I'll get him to try the corsodyl. We went to gp yesterday and he's given him anti fungal drops. My husband is every 3 weeks too. 2 types of chemo and 1 immunotherapy. 1 chemo will stop after 4 cycles and then the others will continue for as long as they are working. I'm coping OK at the moment. It was all a complete shock though. No symptoms of the lung cancer at all in February. He's coughing a little now so we probably would know something was wrong. 

You've had to go through more treatments than we have. Has it all been OK? No huge side effects? 

• No major side effects just appetite really we had a 10 day gap between chemo this time as his blood cells didn't come back up so he has to have injections for 4 days starting Friday to help with that ready for his last one.  Was your partners contained in one area when they did CT scan do you mind if I ask how old he is. My partner has lost all his hair I shaved it off because it was dropping out every where that was hard .  

• I forgot to say my partner had a bad cough that wouldn't go away that's what started all the investigations off 

• Hi Lindy,

I've sent you a friend request on here as I'm hoping we can just direct message? I've never done it before though so I'm hoping it gets to you!