Lung cancer new diagnosis

• 4 replies
  • 147 subscribers

Hello, I’m posting this on behalf of my friend as we are both in complete shock with her recent diagnosis. My friend woke up on Easter Sunday with a pain in her shoulder and feeling unwell, during the day she felt worse and went to A&E and they did bloods tests and X-rays, it was then they said they could see a shadow in her left lung, and they thought she could have pneumonia and that she would be referred for a scan to see if she had any blood clots. She went to the hospital again on 2nd of April and was given a scan, the dr told her that they think she had lung cancer in her left lung and that more tests would be needed, since she has had pet scans and CTScans and was told on the 12 April that they feel it is stage 2 and that they could operate to remove them, she had a biopsy on 16 April and another pet scan and had another appointment on 26 April to go through treatment, the doctor informed her that the scans had shown 1 small patch in her right lung, 2 small patches in her lower left lung, 1 small patch at the top left lung, 2 small patches on the left side of her left lung and a small patch on her upper liver, she asked if she could have surgery to remove them and he said “the would be able to remove the majority but the issues would be the 2 small patches at the left side of the left lung as these are just under the skin like cling film, and it would be an insult to the body’ and that more scans would be needed to determine what stage this is but most likely stage 4 now. I’m devastated as she is and she is really scared as she has 4 children with the youngest being 13, she is 46 years old and we just don’t know what to think especially with the doctor saying it would insult the body, does anyone know what this means or been in a similar situation? Thank you for reading this, and wish you all well. 

• Hi, such a shame about your friend, I understand the shock you both must have felt. We are all here to help with any questions you or your friend may have. I not sure myself what the doctor meant by "an insult to the body", maybe he means by removing all the lesions, five in all excluding the two left side lesions, that it would be too much of a surgical procedure on the body. I think your friend needs to ask that question.

Please keep in touch with your friend's progress and send my best wishes to her for her future treatment.

Heart

• Thank you, it’s just a complete shock. I’ve told her to write all her questions down and when she next goes to speak with them she can ask all the questions she has. It’s just worrying not knowing the detail, she is due to have another scan and a brain scan in the next week so hoping that she can get some definitive answers after that. I will keep you posted on the progress. Thank you again x

• Hello Leannes, I found it essential to write down questions before appointments because there's no way you can remember to ask everything you want to.

Just one suggestion if it's appropriate - does your friend have someone to go to the consultation with? I had my wife when we went to mine and she was able to make sure all our questions were asked and answered, if alone it's difficult to do this. If she will be alone and she has no objections it might be appropriate for you or somebody else close to her to go with her for support?

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Thank you, she is writing things down now and yes she has her husband at most appointments but I’ve offered to be with her also if he’s not able to.