New diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 144 subscribers

Hi All

So we join the one society that none wants to join myself included. I was told on March 1st that I had a shadow on my resulting from lung X-ray from the GP so I immediately went away for the weekend as planned. What can I say other than carry on regardless. But. However. Whatever word you want to describe how your life has just not just paused but changed irrevocably and just on a sixpence. Shock horror comes to mind. And I am still in shock. Having said that I have an amazing team in my locality who have supported me throughout this journey and I am in awe at their joined up working as an amazing team to help me on this journey. I am scheduled for surgery on 30th April and I am going under in a big way as I have not had surgery for 30 years and as a 70 year old female who lives alone who is fiercely independent and generally fit its a big one for me. Any reassurance is much appreciated 

• Hi Treen

Sorry you've had to join the group. I was in the same position as you. 60 years old, lives alone, very independent and I had never had surgery before. At the end of January I had right upper lobectomy, was only in the hospital 2 days then discharged. You are given loads of pain relief because they want you to be mobile and able to cough and discharged with the same, to be honest first couple of days is a bit rough but doable. Prior to operation, on the advice of others, I stocked up on plenty of frozen meals so had plenty of options and not had to worry about shopping. My sister stayed with me for about a week but to be honest I would have managed on my own, but she did help with cleaning, shopping, putting bins out etc. I walked as much as I could before surgery and as soon as I could after surgery. I'm now 3 months post op and just waiting for my first CT Scan for follow up. I was a bit wheezy and a bit of a cough but that's gradually getting better. I would say I am almost back to normal, still breathless going up hills but I just stop for a rest and off I go again.  I hope all goes well for you and please let us all know how you're doing x

• Your reply really helped me, Bella. I have no idea what a right-upper thingy is and how that will compare to what I end up with in terms of treatment, but reading about your experience after hospital has bucked me up - I'm beginning to think my tomato plants might survive yet :O)