Lung Cancer

• 3 replies
  • 144 subscribers

I delevoped a cough in July. Got antibiotics but they did not help then got very tired and lost weight. Went back to doctors in August had x rays, pet scans CTScans and they found a tumour in my right lung. Had biopsies with the cameras down and they found a 6 cms mass. I had a lobectomy half my lung was taken away on October 5th 2023. The results that came back was they had taken it all out and no cancer in the lymph nodes. It was gone and I would have follow up scans. Had first one in January 2024 all looked good . I then developed a cough again in February so more tests. A rouge cell has attached itself to my wound inside my lung beside the staples. It is 24 mm and they said it’s a nodule so getting a scan this week then they are arranging treatment. Not sure what kind of treaty they were so sure they had got it all out the first time 

• Hi, sorry to hear about your new diagnosis, it is such bad luck having to undergo all that you have had and for this to happen. Unfortunately this can happen, a rogue cell can escape and attach itself to tissue.  I'm surprised your CT scan in January did not show this at the time, if the CT scan was done without contrast it is possible it could have been missed, my CT scans have all been with contrast.  This happened to someone I knew some years back.  She had breast cancer and it recurred in the scar.  She was told, apparently a tiny droplet of blood containing cancer cells can literally just drop off the surgeon's scalpel as they remove the tumour.  Although this is rare, unfortunately this is a risk that does not seem to get mentioned.

I'm assuming your treatment will be targeted radiotherapy (SABR) as the nodule is small.  I finished my SABR treatment on the 15 December, and the results I had back at the beginning of this month has been positive, the cancer cells are dying off quickly. 

Whatever treatment they recommend, I wish you the very best in your forthcoming treatment.  Keep in touch we are all here to help in anyway because we have all been or are going through the same.

Two hearts

• The CT scan was with the dye. They said there was post operative changes on my wound beside the staples  and instead of 6 monthly scans they would do 3 monthly ones. With the cough coming back another Ct was booked early. I think it’s that treatment I will be getting .i have never smoked in my life it’s just such a shock. I have to get better as have so much to do this year. Hope it’s not a long progress. Hope you are well.    Two hearts

• Hi, if you are getting SABR, it is given every day, usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday. As to how many sessions, that depends on the nodule itself, size etc. Then you will have a follow up scan three month's later. I had a 2.5cm lesion upper left lung and had 8 sessions, ending with last one on the 15 December 2023. I did not have surgery, just the SABR.

I had my first follow up scan on the 18 March and and an outpatient appointment with the Oncologist 2 week's later. Everything is looking positive, the cancer cells are dying of quickly and the lesion has shrank by almost 50%, there is scar tissue in the area treated, but this is expected and nothing of concern. The Oncologist said that the treatment will carry on working and it can take up to 6 months, or possibly more for the cancer cells to die off completely.

I'm feeling very well, just get the odd twinge in the area that was treated. My side effects were just a tiny bit of dry skin at the area site treated, tiredness, slight loss of appetite and breathlessness walking uphill, but fine on the flat. All these side effects were completely gone about a month after treatment.

Good luck and best wishes.

Heart