Advanced lung cancer

• 1 reply
  • 144 subscribers

My partner has recently been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. It started with a cough in Jan/Feb and here we are. I’m devastated. He’s currently too weak to have chemo and we are waiting for the outcome of molecular markers, a v slim chance of a positive way forward. We are focusing on him eating more and building up his fitness level but I really don’t think it’s going that well. I’m scared what will happen and how fast if he can’t have treatment. He’s always been healthy, never smoked, so this feels like a bolt from the blue. 

• Hi Hubb

Welcome to the Online Community and the Lung cancer group.

I am really sorry to hear that your partner has been diagnosed with lung cancer and it is advanced. I can understand how devastating this must be for your both. To have such a diagnosis in someone who has been healthy and a non smoker must indeed be a shock. 

Focussing on his eating and building up his fitness sounds a positive step to focus on for the time being and hopefully should stand him in better stead when they are looking at which treatments may be possible. Although he may be currently too weak for chemo it does not mean that there may not be something else that could be offered. 

I will pop a link to the Lung cancer info booklet from Macmillan- although he may already have one. It will perhaps give you a bit of info about what may be offered and an idea of what you might like to ask the consultant about when you have the next appointment. 

Understanding lung cancer | Booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

To have such a diagnosis out of the blue can be a really stressful thing to go through and we do have a Support Line that either of you are welcome to call, if you feel that chatting things through may help. They are lovely on there and are there from 8am-8pm daily. If you speak with one of the nurses they may also be able to give you some support with his eating and building up his fitness. 

I hope this helps a bit and that the results of the molecular markers come back quickly and that some sort of treatment plan can begin. In the meantime if there is anything else we can help you with- please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm