Dad's Diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 142 subscribers

My dad has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to his ribs and his brain. He has been allowed to come home with me to care for him but we haven't had much support as of yet. We have been told we only have a few months left with him and I want to make sure he's as happy as he can be in that time..he's much happier being at home with me than in hospital but it's so hard to see him like he is. He has always been so strong and independent. At the moment he sleeps alot and is managing pain with Morphine but we just don't know what to expect as the doctors have said they can't really say as each person is different, this has all happened so fast none of us we expecting this.

• Hi   welcome to the group, but sorry you find yourself here. I am in this group because I have a lung sarcoma, but I also lost my step mother to lung cancer. Like your dad it was a shock diagnoses, and it had already spread to her brain. It was 4 months from diagnoses to us losing her. Apart from her initial hospital stay, she was at home for all that time. Like your dad, she slept a lot, I think that was the morphine. 

This is a heartbreaking situation for you. Watching a loved one go through this is terrifying, and sometimes finding the strength is hard. Please do reach out to the Macmillan support team. They will help you to navigate this transition to dad being at home. They are available 7 days a week from 8am until 8pm on 0808 808 00 00.  There is also another support group in the online community that you may want to join where you can connect with people who are in a similar position to you. Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum 

Wishing you and dad all the very best. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelle

Thank you for you response I will give the support team a call the whole situation is very overwhelming so having other people to talk to maybe a help to take some of the pressure off.

Kind regards