What to expect

• 2 replies
  • 142 subscribers

Hi All

Currently having lots of tests but Consultant has basically told me they are sure it is Lung Cancer. She said she would recommend aggressive radiotherapy. Wonder if anyone could let me know how long the treatment is likely to take. Also will probably have treatment in Newcastle (will  have care transferred from home town to be with family) Just noticed that Newcastle is running trials. Anyone have any info on this. Look forward to chatting with everyone on same journey  I gave up smoking 30 years ago and my cousin died of lung cancer after having given up fir similar time so think maybe the info we were given at the time that rusk of cancer after going up were only same as non-smokers after a couple of years was wrong and they are increasing diagnosing ex-smokers, I have told all ex-smokers to have annual lung check but would be interested if anyone has seen recent stats. Think I am still at disbelief stage 

• Hi   welcome to the group, but sorry you find yourself here. Radiotherapy can be a very successful treatment for lung cancer, but it is hard for anyone to say how long your treatment will be, mine was everyday for 5 days, but I have known people to have it for 3 weeks. The treatment itself is relatively easy, as you don’t feel anything, you lay on a bed and a machine similar to an X-ray moves around you. It takes minutes each time. 

There are trials that are available, but these are only really offered once all other treatments have been exhausted. There are also lots of criteria that you will need to meet to be offered a trial, but a trial isn’t something that your oncologist would be looking at for you at this stage. 

Not all lung cancer are caused by smoking. Small cell lung cancer can be linked to smoking, but as my oncologist told me, anyone with lungs can get lung cancer. Lots of us here who have never smoked. 

The early stages of tests and diagnoses is a very frightening time, and I can understand your feeling of disbelief. I expect at the moment you are being seen by a respiratory consultant and haven’t yet met your oncologist. If that is the case, then I would suggest you wait until you meet with oncology before you start to think about a treatment plan, because all of that can change. Once all of your tests are back the oncology team will meet at a MDT meeting, where they discuss your results with other medical professionals. Until that meeting your treatment is undecided. I know it is hard, but I don’t want you thinking you are definitely having radiotherapy when that could change. 

Good luck with the rest of your tests, please let us know how you get on. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks very much for replying Chelle, made things much clearer. Just one more test left (PET scan) before consultants/surgeons can have their conflab. This all came to light after I had an unexplained collapse in the street  and ended up in A&E with a real shiner (they suspect cardiac arrhythmia.) One of the nurses noticed my breathing not quite right and arranged chest x-ray, it was a completely incidental finding. I wish I knew her name, she may well have saved my life or at the least extended it. I am going to get a big tin of Quality Street to take into A&E with a card explaining and hope she gets to hear. Thank you again for your reply, I will just take things as they come and not get ahead of myself