My partner has lung cancer

• 13 replies
  • 145 subscribers

I am new here and need some help how to handle the news that my partner was diagnosed with lung cancer. I am scared, sad, and don't know how to stop the incredible fears.I cannot seem to meditate, and find talking to like minded people help calm my nervous system.  Thanksfor listening

1. Hi Lisse my name is Dave I also have a partner recently diagnosed with lung cancer she is stage 4 with spread to chest, lymph nodes, and thyroid gland. We had a treatment plan which after a few minor hiccups should of started on Monday 4th March  she had pain in groin for a few days which got steadily worse,  managed to get her out of house with a borrowed frame and wheelchair for treatment thinking she had a trapped nerve.  Xray showed broken hip where cancer got in and destroyed the top of Femur bone so Operation Thursday before last then scan showed CANCER become very aggressive.  She's home with me now but all treatment dates are cancelled ( was due to start  Monday) now has to see oncologist instead.  We suspect to late for treatment so possibly palliative care. So I understand where you are now total despair so afraid of what's coming both for him? And you,  do you know much of the details of his diagnosis it's agony waiting and seems like nothing happening but things are going on behind the scenes.  It honestly will get better once you have a treatment plan then there is some light at the end of tunnel I wish you both a happier outcome and do take care of yourself It is going to be just as hard on you as on your partner but they will depend on you. Other people will not always realise your pain but its usually not intentional. Best wishes Dave 
  • Thank Dave for your kind words and understanding. So sorry to hear of your situation, how difficult , heart breaking , and I hope you get all the love and support you need.  Yes.. we wait for the next visit to the oncologist, and then we will here how the treatment is going.  Nice there is a place I can expess myself. Take good care Dave, stay strong...

Jill.

• Hi Jill 

I am so sorry to hear about your partner. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in October 2023. Such a shock as no sign at all.

all I can say is make sure you have a good support network as you will need people to talk with. I am fortunate enough to have counselling at our local hospice and it’s so wonderful to have a brain dump every week. Perhaps this is something that you may be able to get. 

and talk on here Thumbsup

Fingers crossedFingers crossed For the future

• Thank you elaine for your message. I am looking for a support group at the moment, and talk once a week with my therapist which helps to get it out.. I hope things can turn around for the better with your husband..  wishing you all good things.. Jill

• Hi Lisse

I am sorry to hear about your partner. I am very much am feeling what you are going through. My Partner was diagnosed in March, a tumor in both lungs and spread to lymph nodes. I am struggling to come to terms with it all, initially just shell shocked and now feeling scared and panicking but trying to stay strong in front of my partner.

I came on here just today to try and get some more information and hear from other people who are going through a similar situation. It has already helped reading their stories and seeing some positive outcomes. We are still waiting a treatment plan and i think that will help once we know what that looks like as at the moment its all so unknown. 

I am trying to keep positive and gather what information i can to prepare us. Hope you have been able to talk to someone and get some information to help.

Take care 

• Hi Jill devastated after a really hard fight my Angel was overcome by a massive hemorrhage ot 2.20 ish Thursday and didn't have the strength left to fight any longer so the light of my life has been snuffed out. But please don't give up hope more and more people are making good recoveries. I wish all on these pages to keep up the fight for as long as you can

Thanks Dave 

• Oh dear after the massive shock of my wife departing on Thursday,  Friday afternoon I get a call from a lung cancer doctor to say that a pet scan I had last week after a ct scan showed a possible nodule in my right lung is now a 95% certainty cancerous  tumor which is still only 1.5cm so caught early, but will need an operation quite soon. Definitely not the best of news only 2 days after my wife passing and trying to deal with possible post mortem and funeral arrangements. You'll excuse if I think this is sometimes a S**t life with one C**p thing after another.  Sorry I forgot to mention my brother in law is currently in hospital with severe COPD and his heart has stopped twice in last weeks. So dreading a phone call about that any time soon.  Cheers Dave. ( sorry if I appear to be feeling sorry for myself and whining but it's becoming overwhelming)

• Oh Dave, so sorry to hear about your wife and now your news too. That must be completely overwhelming. Just take 1 day at a time. Keep reaching out for support on here and with people you know. 

Sending you strength.  Take care.

Sarah.

• Omg you really have a lot to deal with at the moment, you are allowed to feel sorry for yourself, but just remember you are not alone in this forum we are all here to support each other and at the moment you really need support in bucket loads.

You should come here and put your thoughts down there is always someone who can say something or suggest some that might help.

I hope you have a good evening 

Donna