hello have just had surgery to remove cancer and half lung

• 17 replies
  • 146 subscribers

anyone elst the same 

• Thanks  .  That's very helpful.  I did notice a bit of an improvement this morning but a treadmill is a great idea. Hope doctors have sorted the wheeze.

• Hi Bella27, Hope your rehab is going well and your feeling fitter each day. We saw my consultant last Thursday with the outcome of my results which were a metastasis from my chondrosarcoma, they did say they managed to get it all out which was good news. So now I’m discharged from the thoracic team in Stoke. I’m now back under the Royal Oncology hospital Birmingham where I had my amputation. They’ve got me an appointment in six weeks to see the consultant and have a chest X-ray and that’s where we are at the moment. My fitness is going really well I’m out each day walking a good 2 miles and enjoying the countryside at the same time. I did have a problem a couple of weeks ago where my surgical scar got infected and was very saw, but after a weeks course of antibiotics it’s settled down and was back on track. Have you seen your consultant yet for results?. x

• Hi Prosthetic1 

I'm sorry to hear it was a metastases, from 7 years ago, wow. Good news that they got it all out and you've been discharged from them. When you see oncology, would it depend on anything showing on your chest xray if you need chemo or would it be given as a precaution. Sorry for my ignorance but not dealt with chemo myself.

Pleased to hear your fitness is going well, I'm walking about the same 1.5 to 2 miles a day, unfortunately most of it is done indoors on my treadmill because the weather is dreadful. I still have a wheeze and a whistle when I cough but breathlessness is getting much better. Have you had the same problems?

I was lucky my my lymph nodes were negative so ive been discharged from Freeman Hospital back to my local one and have my first follow up in the middle of April.

Please let us know how you get on at your appt and keep up the walking, I will cross everything for you x

• So glad your fitness and health is improving, I know the weather can be quite depressing, I’ve been lucky dodging the rain most days, it would just be lovely for a few days of sun, definitely makes you feel better. I always worry about lymph nodes, so pleased for you that they were clear. I do have a slight wheeze when breathing in still, breathlessness is good, not sure how it will be when I do some steep hill walking though. With my original diagnosis I was into a 10 year period of checks. I think this will be treated as the same and my appointment will be to go through the chest X-ray I have on the day and the next few years. There is no chemotherapy for this cancer as it doesn’t respond to it or radiotherapy. So like yourself I’ve never experienced either of these. So if anything comes back it’s surgery again. Not the best scenario but we keep going and enjoying life the best we can. Will let you know how it all goes. Keep your great work up and between us we will smash it. X

• I'm the same as you, everything is improving post op but not tackled any hills yet, planning to do a beach walk in the next couple of weeks so will tackle my first steep hill then, I might get stuck at the bottom Grin.  I hope all goes well for you, do let me know and we can look forward to some nice weather and can carry on smashing it together x

• Hi  .  I am one lucky person!  After the loboctemy, and the out patients appointment I've got the all clear with only a 6month and then annual checkups.  

I've had such good friends to support me, along with Macmillan nurses and a consultant who arranged all the tests in a matter of weeks.

It's been a frightening journey.  I constantly walk up steps from the beach and I have to take a break halfway and at the top but not seeing much improvement yet but hey ho!  It's only been four weeks.

Thank you for being there with advice.  I do hope you are going along ok and will keep dipping in to see how you are doing!

• Hi cold water swimmer

Great news you've got the all clear. How is your recovery going? You sound like you're doing really well, I don't think I'd have tackled steps and a beach walk at 4 weeks. I'm about 8 weeks and I found after about 6 weeks my breathing was getting easier, I'm a bit breathless at the start of a walk but it gets better the longer I walk. Its still early days for you.  I have my first follow up in April so I'll find out then how I'm doing. Take care and I hope you continue to do well x