Helpful tips and losing my S*** with people

• 18 replies
  • 149 subscribers

Morning everyone , I’m about to embark on 6 weeks of combined chemo/ radiotherapy so looking for any helpful tips for both treatments … what to wear , what to take with me to chemo , skin care thanks for your ideas I’ve contacted that company . … do you take food with you to chemo?  I’m there 6 hrs every Tuesday so a long day - … packing my kindle , knitting , mags etc ….   

I Wanted to vent too about the things people seem to think it’s ok to say …. One person actually said she was glad it was me and not her dealing with chemo because I’m much braver and she couldn’t cope with losing her hair etc ….. honestly love,  you’re glad it’s me ??? trust me I’m not brave … I’ve no blumming option and I’m scared …. Or the others who head tilt slightly then say “yes , but did you smoke ?” WTF! ….no I didn’t but why do you seem to be inferring that if I did , it somehow makes this tumour my fault ?? It makes me so blumming angry … I wouldn’t dream of asking anyone that question in that way …. I guess people don’t see nice pink fluffy things for lung cancer… ranty tant over ! ….. Elly x

• When you get cancer, you find out who your true friends are. I don’t think a true friend would say I’m glad it’s you and not me. That is just disgusting. I also hate the “you are so brave “ comments. I always say I’m not brave, I have no choice. Being brave is doing something you have a choice in, none of us chose to have cancer. 

Try not to let peoples comments effect you. Keep your energy for your treatment and not worrying about others. Your true friends and loved ones will be there for you xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Completely get you on the rant! We had someone make a similar comment to my dad when he got diagnosed with lung cancer asking him if he'd smoked, it's such a cruel way to imply if you smoked that you almost 'deserved' it, it's awful. During this time you really find out who are true friends and people who will truly be there for you, and you find out those who won't be! 

Best of luck with the start of your treatment and keep us posted with how it goes x

• Thanks Chelle , I don’t think it’s intentional just no thought given to what comes out of their mouths ….. think I’ll hibernate for 6 weeks ! Joy

• Thank you , it’s just not right is it…. I think you’re right there is going to be a friendship culling process through all this I think Thinking 

• Hi Elly.

it’s a good idea to take some food with you, my first chemotherapy / immunotherapy treatment took 10 hours believe me I wasn’t expecting that, fortunately I had packed myself lots of nice goodies, a couple of sandwiches and lots of snack foods crisps biscuits ect, I look at it that if there are any holdups you have supplies, if you don’t need them then you can take them home and eat later. Make sure you tablet and phone are charged I also took my charger with me.

as for the stupid things people say, they just don’t think about what they are saying before they say it, sometimes if what is said really upsets my I challenge it other times I just move on and leave it with them, I find sometimes saying nothing makes them think about what they said and often they feel stupid afterwards. Anyway don’t dwell on what others say at the moment, you need to focus on getting through your first few treatments and getting into a routine. Some people are just born stupid they can’t help it lol.

have a good day 

hugs Donna

• By the way don’t hibernate we are all here to support you

Hugs Donna

• Thanks Donna I will pack snacks and stuff then …I’ve just bought a new charger for my phone etc too and a power pack …. If only I was packing for holidays hey? I know , you’re right people don’t think do they . It just got me at a low point I guess …. Thanks for the reply love hope you’re feeling more energised x

• Thanks Donna at least we are all sensitive to this stuff aren’t we to not make stupid remarks x

• My Mum has lost all her hair to the Chemo and she wears we turbans, some are toweling but you can see she has no hair at the front.  I had her out shopping and this guy(security) asked her if she couldn't be bothered to dry her and why would you wear a turban.  She promptly replied - cos I am dying of cancer and this is what Chemo does to you!! - then walked away.  He did try to apologize on our way out but the damage was done.  Its the adults who stare and make wtf face.

Take no note lovely, xx

Love T xx

• That’s awful isn’t it …. Rage