Hi

• 20 replies
  • 147 subscribers

After 6 months of test , I was diagnosed with lung cancer last week. It is very early in the process but it looks small, about 1cm and it has been described as a ground glass nodule. I am expecting to have surgery on the 27th October, providing all my pre op test go alright. 

I am very positive about the whole thing and have a 'what will be,will be ' attitude but I would like to hear from anyone who has been in the same or similar position to me. I would like to be aware of the best and worst scenario, so please don't hold back. I want as much info as possible , positive and negative. Wink

Thank you Slight smile

• Hi Didi welcome to the group, but sorry you find yourself here.  Surgery for lung cancer is always the best option for a cure, and as your nodule is so small I would imagine this would be a fairly easy procedure. Biopsies are always carried out after surgery, so it is the best way to see what type of lung cancer it is. 

Not everyone’s cancer story is the same, and everyone reacts differently to treatments, so it is hard for anyone to tell you what will happen next after the surgery. It will really be up to your oncologist and the results of the biopsy, as to whether you will need further treatment. 

Hopefully someone who has had surgery will be along soon to share their story with you. I hope all the pre op checks go well for you x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelsea.

Thank you for your reply. At the moment I am fine with everything but aware that there will be peaks and troughs. To be honest, I have felt better since the diagnosis!  It was a long time of it isn't, then it might be. At first they put the find down to Covid but then when it hadn't disappeared 3 months later they weren't so sure. I was sent for a PET scan and although they said ' there wasn't anything glaringly obvious ' they decided to do a biopsy.  It was then that I was diagnosed.  I have also been diagnosed with diabetes 4 months ago , so all in all its been a huge life change.

I have read a lot of the post on here and people are so strong but not afraid to show their more vulnerable side and ask for support when they need it!! Slight smile 

Thank you again and I look forward to hopefully hearing from others.

You take care

Didi

• So sorry, it autocorrect to Chelsea Blush

• Hi Didi,

Welcome along, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride!!

I am now 4 weeks post op, my tumour was almost 7cms and i had an invasive lobectomy to remove it.

Its difficult to advise as everyone, even those with exactly the same diagnosis as yours, will likely receive slightly different treatments along the way.

There is no sugar coating things, the trip will be an emotional and physical rollercoaster, but if you can remain mentally strong that will go a long way during your route out of this.

Do not be afraid to seek help where it is offered or available, i have relied heavily on my local macmillan drop ins, joined various macmillan groups where i have met and made friends with fellow warriors, and trust me they have helped me so much, in fact as a 59 year old bloke i am quite the novelty at my local weeky all female craft group!!!LaughingLaughing

Just know that beyond your immediate support group there are so many others on your team who will help you and hold your hand along the way just reach out if you need to.

Be brave, stay strong.

Dave.

• Hello Didi . Welcome to the forum . It sounds like you may have caught your cancer early and surgery is always the best option for a curative outcome …. You’ll find this forum helpful for support and as sculptor said make use of all avail support as and when you need it …. I haven’t had surgery ( you can read my story in my profile ) so can’t advise anything in that respect but I can and do wish you well with it , Elly x

• Thanks for the advise Dave. I popped in to our local macmillan drop in at the hospital.  I was there anyway for my prehab.  They were very helpful and advised regarding emotional and financial support, should I need it. I felt comfortable and will pop in again if I feel the need. I hope your recovery continues to go well. I am the same age as you ( 59 in June to be precise), so I am keen to know how you get on. How long were you in hospital for ? 

Please keep me updated . Slight smile

• Hi Ella.

I have just read your story and it sound like you have been through the mill but have coped so well. I agree that the waiting is the worst. Thank you for your message. I hope your appointment goes well and you can finally find out the plan. Wink  

Di

• Hi again Didi,

Glad you are finding the macmillan resources helpful, they are an amazing bunch !

I was only in hospital for four days even though i had the invasive procedure. I was sent home with a bag full of pain relieving meds and needed a daily anti clotting jab for 24 days which was done by my local district nurses.

Cant lie, first two weeks post op were very uncomfortable but controllable with the meds, and could only really stay comfortable by lying in bed, but after that i started to remobilise properly and as an avid walker began to walk further and further each day. Over the course of the third and fourth weeks post op the "raw" pain disappeared and now its just the weird nerve pain i am dealing with ( which is a lot like shingles if youve ever had it?) I am back to walking 5/6 miles a day now, but find i need to rest when i return, plus having lost the lower lobe of my left lung am far more breathless than i was, so im retraining my breathing, and have been assured this will get better with time.

From reading your post it sounds as though you will have the vats procedure which i believe is the prefered surgical option where possible, it is less painful and has a quicker recovery time, but this wasnt an option for me due to the size of my tumour.

I go back to see my surgeon on Tuesday when im hoping to find out what my forward treatment plan will be, i have already been warned that i will require some chemo as a bib and brace approach to mop up and destroy any sneaky blighters that may be lurking.

Dave x

• HI dave.

Thanks for getting back to me and thank you also for your honesty !. That is what I am looking for. I have read a lot of stories on here and I wonder if people really want or need the truth but I doSlight smileSlight smile. I am not a pessimist at all but my attitude is hope for the best  but prepare for the worst. 

It is the 1st time I have encountered serious health issues but I have been through health issues with my son and I actually think it is easier going through it yourself , than watching a loved one.Thinking did look at your story and I saw that your tumour was much larger than mine so I understand that it may be different for me. Thinking. Hubby and I are on holiday at the moment but back on Tuesday and down to earth with a bump. I have an appointment Tuesday pm to discuss further. 

I also saw that you are a northern man. Where are you from . Just being nosey. Lol. I am a Scarborough girl.  Wink

Looks like it is a big day for both of us on Tuesday. Best of look. I will be thinking of you. Let me know how you get on please Slight smile

Di

• Morning Di,

Im just outside Manchester in Bury, being treated at NW Lung Centre Wythenshaw, although i was originally diagnosed at Bolton Hospital. 

Scarborough was the first holiday i was allowed to go on with my mates (so many years ago now) when i was 16!! Remember it very well, Saturday Night under the Plastic Palm Trees at Tiffanys ! JoyGrin

Good luck with your appointment, remember to ask a lot of questions!!!