New here, hi!

• 32 replies
  • 147 subscribers

Hi,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, my mum was diagnosed last week with lung cancer, thats all we know at the moment we don't know what type, she hasn't had a biopsy etc etc. I've been lurking since then reading everyone's posts and experiences, so thought it was time to say hello, seen as it looks like we will be sticking around!

I just want to say thank you, as reading everyone's posts has answered some unanswered questions, and also made us realise that cancer is not always a death sentence.

We are currently preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, if anyone has any advice for me, it's welcomed. Advice on how to support my parents through this time, anything small that people just appreciated. 

Thanks 

• Hi bess, at biopsy stage, the tissue sample is sent away for analysis, they check for cancer type, they do special genomic testing for any mutations, also pdl1 testing for immunotherapy suitability, 

in your husbands case, he probably scored >50% pdl1 therefore that's why hes on immunotherapy, it does amazing stuff for people when it works, The oncologist has all the technical information sent to him from the lab, this is how treatment type is determined, as treatment continues, and with three month scans they will know if its working or not, and are constantly testing for molecular changes, But to ans your question = the oncologist has the information, and don't worry he will let you know very quickly, its only early days, i knew nothing about cancer a year ago, but being part of groups like macmilln, really can educate you, rather than going down google rabbit holes from hours, another really Good group is INSPIRE , i find the American side of all things cancer very educational, 

So bess , try not to get to mixed up with technical stuff, im just a devil for reading, keep us posted on his progress 

• Hi Ronson 22

many thanks for your reply it all makes sense now as what you’ve written yes we have been told...... the trouble is you don’t catch all or it cos of emotional  stuff in your head..... but seeing it written plainly has jogged my memory......thank you.

so......Fingers crossedFingers crossed this immunotherapy works as I say we’d never heard it it but so pleased my husband is on it  as chemo seems dreadful.......

Thanks again and no I don’t do goggle been tempted at times but no stayed away

Take care

Bess

• Yes fingers and toes crossed , l know what your going through, 

night

• Very informative Ronson! Thank you.

Well we didn't find much out yesterday, they said a meeting was being held on Tuesday and we would get a call with some info after, Wednesday came and mum ended up calling them to find out what was happening, to which the cancer nurse just booked her in for an appointment with the consultant and lung nurses for tomorrow, where they will look at scans and decide from there what route to go down. I'm confused as I thought the meeting they held Tuesday was to look at scans and decide what was happening.

If anyone can shed any light at all, xxx

• Hi samae, yep txt book stuff, but well done to call them and get im front of them so quick, don't worry they have strict protocol to follow, and alot of boxes to be ticked, from the top down, one box not ticked and a patient suffers ie standing by the phone,

rest asured they've looked at all the scan at a tumor board meeting and have already decided what there going to do with your mother, it won't be decided in front of her on the spot, the oncologist has to listen to alot of professional opinions before treatment begins, I was waiting 2.5 weeks for a bone scan, the letter never came, called the hospital and the nurse just forgot, apologized to me and i was called for scan the next day, So don't be afraid to pick up the phone, 
    So samae good look tomorrow, bright eyed and bushy tailed, and let us know, I'll be thinking of you both as were all on this journey together

• Thank you....today has been a good day!! 

• Thank you again Ronson, you are so reassuring!

Mum had her appointment today, we didn't find much out but we did find out that it IS treatable. We don't know how yet, or what stage she is. She has a biopsy Thursday next week so it's just another waiting game till then :( she's also having an in depth MRI as her CT scan shows that it's already spread to her ribs, spine and her lymphnodes in her arm pit are swollen but they aren't sure of that is cancer or not.

The cancer on her spine is less than pea sized which is good but she is getting pain n her back and groin area because of it. They've also put her on some kind of steroid to try and stop the cancer in her spine and ribs from growing.

Xxxx

• Hi samae, thanks for the reply, glad you got some info today,  with this disease, l find im always left wanting more info, she has alot of scans to go before they get started with treatment, and hopefully they will blitz it, she's only young, 

l had swollen lymph nodes in my neck and armpits a few months ago and they gave me antibiotics, and I heard no more about it, I was also on steroids, found it difficult to sleep on them thats all, So im glad you know more than yesterday, keep going forward,

l will be looking out for her progress, night 

• Hi guys!!!! 

Sometime since weve spoke. Hope everyone is OK. 

Mum has now had the biopsy and an in depth MRI, she sees the oncologist to discuss treatment plan and I suppose we will find out what stage mums cancer is and if it has spread to anywhere else that we are unaware of.

If anyone could shed any light on what to expect from this appointment. 

Thanks again 

• Just a quick post to pay mum finally had an appointment with the oncologist, she has stage 4 NSCLC, spread to her bones including spine, skull, shoulder and lymphnodes. No other major organs effected.

Treatment plan is chemo + immuno