New diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 147 subscribers

Hi, unfortunately I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.  I'm currently awaiting a geneology report to come back from the Pet Scan which will decide which treatment the doctors are going to use, however it seems to be such a long wait.  I first had an x ray 4th March and since then all my tests have been extremely quick but its the waiting for the results that is taking the longest.   I am feeling positive at the moment but I know whilst im waiting for the results my coughing is extreme and I have been put on steroids to see if it can help ease the channels so I can breath a bit easier.   I have a wonderful family behind me and I know how much this is hurting them too.  

• Hi Lavo, just a couple of hours behind you, though I don't know what stage I'm at, or what a stage is really. It's great to hear you have your family is around you. I don;t have family but I am wondering how those around me are going to feel - will they be uncomfortable? Who knows? Anyway let me be the first of many good wishes to you on here - we're clearly not alone :O)

• Hello Fergus, thank you for taking the time out to reply.  Nice to meet you.  I'm sorry that you don't have family around to help you but do have someone.  I have found that everyone responds differently.  I have some good friends that haven't even responded to my message but I guess thats how they can deal with the news.   Unfortunately im stage 4 which is terminal. It means that it has spread to other areas of the body.   I wont recover from lung cancer as it cannot be cut out, but I can certainly be treated for lung cancer and that is what my hope is in.  To give me a few more years.  

I do hope that your news is better and wish you well in all your treatments.

• Hi

Ik so sorry you are going through this!!!! My partner got diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer on 29th March. He had a blood test to see if he was suitable for immunotherapy and luckily he was, so he has just started it. I have to say though things do not seem to move quick enough at all and it’s very frustrating. My partner says it is far worse for all us friends and relatives than him. I hope you’re treatment starts soon xxxx

• I know, one minute  you're told quick, quick, quick, get treatment,  then next you're hanging around for another test.  I'm stage 3.  Read at the weekend that if you have asthma (yes) it's more likely,  and it wasn't one of those peculiar sites.  They don't know why, or it wasn't given.  So when I had a cough, just thought it was the asthma.

• Was it the Marsden 360 blood test that he did?

They are the results that im waiting on

• Yes Glenys, thats the problem isnt it.  I had covid last October and since then had a cough.  Nothing too bad but it didnt go and in January got severally worse after having a flu bout! So I just assumed it was to do with the covid as they were talking about the long cough covid symptom.

Obviously my immune system was shutting down.   Anyway thats when I called our GP to take a listen to my chest and it was from here that he got my xrays sort and the rest is history.