Mums diagnoses

• 16 replies
  • 146 subscribers

Well what a day this has been. Mum attended hospital to get full results from the consultant and its been like a bullet to our hearts.

She was told that she has stage 4 lung cancer that has spread including to her brain. We have been told mum can have a biopsy and possibly chemo but that sadly for her there is no cure. Consultant has said mum may not be strong enough to take the treatment but mums determined she wants to fight. We have been told a timeframe but mum doesnt want to know. So its such a hard time for us as a family we want to treasure her now and keep her as well as possible for the time we have left with her.  Her biopsy is booked for next thurs

• Hi Genep, I hope I can give you a little hope.  I am really sorry you are and your Mum are enduring this, it is hard and unfair.  My heart breaks for you both.

5th July 21

My Mum is 77 and was still working up until June when we got this news.  She is looking really well considering and is full of hope and that's what counts.  I have read everything there is to read on this - I needed to be prepared so I could help her.  She was totally shocked by this as she looks really well and healthy on the outside.  She had a stroke and this is what brought the Cancer to light.  She is starting to swell round the abdomen (liver has 3 tumours) and has back pain, it's in her spine.  The lung is the primary (2 tumours) and has spread to lymph at breast bone, liver, a lymph gland in her right shoulder and now her spine.  It has taken over her body so fast and she is so small. She was given 6 weeks to live without Chemo - Six months to a year with, she opted for the Chemo  and is doing great.

Now for us its fight the battle ahead and head on. She looks as though she has been ok with the Chemo, intravenous on Wednesday and Orally Thursday and Friday.

I am coping well enough, some would say I act a bit un-emotional but inside I could scream.  She can't see this, she needs to know I am strong.  I do feel so helpless at not being able to do anything.  I did get her what we now call the Chemo Repair Kit - I put together things like a thermometer, Moisturiser for dry skin, Bonjela for sore lips, gums and tongue, soft PJ's, socks and a cuddle blanket, just so she feels cared for and loved. 

My parents have has a rough ride these last few months. My Dad also got Terminal Lung Cancer, his is slow growing, we don't know what kind as they said he wouldn't cope with a biopsy as he only has 39% percent lung capacity.  My Mum then had her stroke and that was battle.  Due to the symptoms she was having ( low sodium) they checked her liver and that's when they noticed the cancer.  My Dad decided to have a Massive heart attack and got 3 stents in. 

My moto for now is one day at a time, and spend as much time as I can with them both.  They are breaking my heart xxx

Update 31.08.21

Mum got results of scan after two rounds of Chemo and it has shrunk it by a 3rd in her lung and lymph nodes - so amazing - she is a super star.

Update 21.09.21

Mum has done so well on the treatments that they have offered her a further 2 rounds of Chemo and radiotherapy to the chest - assuming this is for the cancer in the lymph nodes - Looks like she is going to be here for Christmas. :-)

• Hi Kerrie, How is your Dad xx

• Hiya. Where do I start. He is still in hospital. The cancer has spread to his brain. I've had to move my December wedding to 3 weeks time as they can't guarantee he will make December. The pressure on the brain is making him mentally not himself, which I think strangely is what I find the hardest. Had a full on panic attack when he called me begging me to come to hospital because 'they are trying to kill him'. If he was himself we could face all the rest. I'm hoping they can do something to bring him back to us. Thank you for asking xx

• Aww Kerri87, Its a hard one, and its an awful thing to be facing when it should be a happy one.  All my love you and your Dad.  Keep me posted xx

• Toppy wow you have given me such hope. My mum is truly smashing this she is a real insperation to us to be honest she is keeping all of us going with her outlook on it all. We took her for her biopsy yesterday she done so well. Nurses loved her but thats no surprise to us as everyone loves her. We are taking each day as it comes enjoying chatting with her and spending quality family time 

Im so glad to hear about your mum she sounds like an amazing woman too.

I know what you mean about keeping it in we are all being so strong around mum and dad then crumbling together or at home with our families 

Mum goes next week to see if they can do any treatment so we have everything crossed we are not giving up.

Thank you so much for your reply x