Small Cell Lung Cancer and Radiotherapy

• 9 replies
  • 145 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding radiotherapy. My partner (43) was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in November, hes had 4 cycles of chemo/immunotherapy  and then immunotherapy every 3 weeks. After the first couple of chemo sessions the CT scan showed sligjt shrinkage of the main tumour, but the latest CT has shown growth.

He has been scheduled a month of daily radiotherapy commencing mid-May, but he really isn't sure if he wants to do it. His main concern I think, is that he doesn't want to waste his time going through radiotherapy for nothing, so I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are? 

Also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for anything else we can do to fight this? 

Thanks for reading, 

Best wishes to everyone

Beth

• Hi Beth. Welcome to the group, but so sorry to hear about your partner. It is so disheartening when treatment hasn't worked, and I can completely understand how your partner is feeling right now, but he really shouldn't give up hope. He has a few weeks to think about it, so hopefully he will feel differently about it once he has had time to digest what is happening. I have a different lung cancer to your partner, but I have had radiotherapy, and for me it was very successful. Radiotherapy continues to work in your body after the treatment has finished. At the 4 month scan post treatment, my tumour had shrunk by 50% and at the 8 month scan it had shrunk further. 

As your partner has already tried chemotherapy and immunotherapy, his treatment options are more limited. I have put a link HERE for you to an information sheet about the different types of treatment available for lung cancer.  THIS POST  also has some very helpful advice for people who are looking to start radiotherapy. 

It is important that you also look after yourself through this time. It is very scary when a loved one has cancer, and the fear of what is ahead, but talking to others who are in a similar situation to yourself does help you through this difficult time. There are a couple of support forums on the community you can join.

Family and friends 

Carers only

You will find several people there who are going through a similar situation to yourself.  You can also call the Macmillan support helpline for support 7 days a week from 8am til 8pm on 0808 808 00 00

Wishing you and your partner all the very best. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Beth

So very sorry that you have cause to be on here.

I was diagnosed with SCLC back in 2011b and my treatment included 33 days of radiotherapy.  People tend to think of radiotherapy as a secondary treatment, This is not true and radiotherapy is as much a treatment in its own right as is chemo. 

I can only speak from my experience; however I am 100% sure that without the inclusion of radiotherapy in my treatment  plan I would be here today typing this reply to you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • 2011 not 2011b!

" Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi Chelle, 

thanks for your response, he has since managed to speak with a doctor and has decided to go ahead with the radiotherapy. Hopefully everything will go smoothly, we just now need to find some accommodation with easy access to the hospital for the month of treatment, it's all a bit stressful but getting on with it. 

best wishes

Beth

• Hi Kegsy,

Thanks for your reply, so happy your radiotherapy had such a positive impact! My partner has decided to go ahead with the treatment as he spoke with a doctor who said without it his odds are really not great. Hoping the radiotherapy will shrink the tumour and give us more time. Do you have any advice about how I can help him while he goes through treatment? From what I've read there's a few different side effects, but of course not everyone has these, just trying to mentally prepare to be there for him as best I can. 

Thanks for you kind words, best wishes

Beth 

• Hi Beth

Sorry about all the typos in my reply. , My dog hates me using the laptop as he believes that the only thing that should be on my lap is him, so lots of nudging my hand etc when I am typing! 

I am so glad that your partner has chosen to go ahead with the radiotherapy.  It is a relatively easy treatment to undergo. Tiredness is the main side effect and generally starts to appear mid way through the treatment and can last for some time after the final session. Radiotherapy is cumulative so carries on working for a while after the treatment has finished, so don't be alarmed if they leave if for a few weeks before undertaking a scan

Depending on where they aim the radiotherapy, another common side effect is 'internal sunburn' to the gullet which can make eating and drinking quite painful. When I experienced this, for a week I lived on home made baked custard. One large casserole dish of it would last me 2-3 days when kept in the fridge. The key if this happens is to eat coldish high calorific foods that can easily slip down the gullet without causing too much pain. 

Don't worry if after the treatment finishes he develops a really 'wet' cough. Just his lungs getting rid of the loose scar tissue. Mine was so prolific I had to use kitchen roll instead of tissues, plus I pebble dashed everything; car dashboard, laptop screen and even the TV screen!

Hope this helps a bit.  Please let us all know how he gets n with the radiotherapy.

I wish you both the best possible outcomes.

Kegsy x

• Hi Kegsy, 

Thanks for your reply, really helpfulSlight smilesorry for the delay (it's been very stressful finding somewhere to stay near the hospital, but all sorted now!) So far so good with the treatment, today is day 5. He's coughing more than usual but I guess this is normal as you said there'll be loose scar tissue? But no problems with eating so far Slight smile

Thanks for your kind words and support!

Beth x

• Hi Kegsy 

New here.

Got SCLC

Had chemotherapy ...shrunk the tumor..and just finished my radiotherapy at the start of July. 

I am now getting sporadic niggles just below my ribs, slight chest pains and it can be sore lying on my left side...where the cancer is.

Anything like this happen to you ?

Cheers 

• Hi Mountannan

It is over 10 years since I finished my radiotherapy and i still have some tenderness in the middle of my chest. This is where most of the scar tissue is.  It has eased over time as my body slowly repairs itself.

Hope this helps a little.

Kegsy x

Slight smile