Hair loss management

• 16 replies
  • 147 subscribers

Hiya

docetaxel is about to kick in Sweat ... any advice on how to manage the final stage of hair loss? To get the last bits off, after clippers ... shave or hair removal lotion ? 
thanks Blush 

• Hi

When I knew my chemo would result in 100% top to toe hair loss, I had mine cut short. I had hoped for a a clipped Number 4. However my hairdresser/friend cut  it to approx 1and half inches. This turned out to be a good move as it allowed me to gently run my fingers through my hair and remove the loose hair.  The hair loss started on a Friday night, every time I went to the bathroom I did the running my fingers through my hair routine, by Monday morning bald! 

The hair removal lotion will only remove the hair above the scalp and could lead to the roots causing in-grown hairs.  Let it come out naturally and then use lots of hair tonic to keep the scalp healthy. and moisturised.  I wish I had taken my own advice; I ignored my bald scalp and ended up with a thick layer of adult cradle cap!

Hope this helps a bit. 

Kegsy x 

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hiya, I’m with Kegsy on this. I had mine clipped and then shaved just as it started falling out on Paclitaxel. The stubble that’s left is too short to easily fall out of the follicles on it’s own and I found it very prickly and uncomfortable. I actually ended up getting what I could out with the sticky side of masking tape Flushed It looks like I’ll be starting palliative docetaxel soon and I’ll be taking Kegsy’s advice this time round. 

“And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, We’ve all got to go sometime.” Pink Floyd
  • Hi Binbag

So very sorry to hear about the palliative treatment.

In my earlier post I forgot to add that my  main regret about my hair loss was that it happened in October. Had it happened now, as we are approaching Spring, I would have collected it up and scattered it outside on the bushes and hedges for the birds to use to line their nests. It would have been nice to think that new life was benefiting from my chemo.

Kegsy x

" Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hiya Kegsy, my last treatment was only palliative too but I’ve just outlived my second prognosis on my cancer journey and I have every intention of continuing for as long as I can. I shall take whatever my marvellous oncologist recommends -liberally supplemented with my self medicated additions of “bloody mindedness” and “dry white wine” - for as long as I can bear it.

Your own amazing journey shows that statistics cannot predict what will happen to any of us individually so, I believe, staying positive and “living” life, albeit maybe not quite the one expected, is so very important once you’ve managed to overcome the shock of the diagnosis.

My last hair “do” (literally!) was November 2019 (when it all fell out) so no nests to line. If the Docetaxel is imminent (scan results next week) I will put some out for the birds but if the cat thinks I’m encouraging birds for his amusement I may have to rethink, just as I may have to rethink if the birds are sitting on the fence laughing at the most useless cat ever born. He is a poor second to Bagpuss for his hunting skills Joy. Stay well xx

“And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, We’ve all got to go sometime.” Pink Floyd
  • Hi Binbag

Your post made me chuckle.. I too got through the treatment process by sheer bloody minded stubbornness, which raised more than a few eyebrows at times!  However, as one of my strap lines states, I was determined that the cancer would not overwhelm whatever life I had left..

Strange as this may sound, my cancer diagnosis was a relief. All my symptoms were neurological, so in my mind I was heading down the Motor Neuron Disease route. At least with the cancer diagnosis I knew there was treatment and a chance of survival, no matter how small. 

Good luck with the forthcoming treatment and stay bloody minded!

Kegsy x

• Thanks for the advice. I forgot to say that I’m a 53 yr old female.. but I think your advice is unisexWink I’ve opted for a  1940’s  style headscarf.. it was that or follow myself with the hoover all day ! 
    my daughter will probably give me a bit of a ‘chop’ and reduce the weight Wink

• I took the clippers route after the first 2-3 days as it was looking such a mess and then just let the rest of the hair fall out naturally. I then bought some patterned head gear from Buff and Hair World, to keep my head warm over winter and protect my vanity. In retrospect i wish I'd bought more - lots of colours to match/complement outfits. 

Agnieska

"Still Smiling"

• Hi WelshMerlin

I too was 53 when started my treatment and went through the hair loss.

The main thing is that what ever you choose to do going forward i.e hat, scarf, wig or au natural  is to wear it with pride and as a badge of honour!

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Kegsy x

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and the tips x

• Gosh! I’ve never ‘met’ another youngster in the same boat !  Everyone in chemo ‘class’ has 15 years on me ... I will do as you suggest  Wink thanks for taking the time x