Hello again, update

• 2 replies
  • 102 subscribers

Hi everyone, update on my husband.  He finished his combined chemo/radiotherapy last Friday.  Had some horrible side effects on the way, but the nurses were wonderful and gave him medication to treat everything. Worse thing was swollen gums.  He couldn't get his dentures in and could only eat soft food, his mouth and nose were so swollen.  They gave him a 4 times a day mouthwash, mucilage mixed with soluble aspirin and it started working within 2 days.  He also got chemo acne, and again, with a non soap facewash and some prescribed lotion, it cleared up within days. He missed one dose of chemo because his platelets were low. He has pain on swallowing at the moment, which is normal, and feels extremely fatigued, but I am proud of him coming through the treatment, because he has various other medical conditions, and daily trips to the hospital for 6 weeks is really tiring.

Has anyone else who has undergone this treatment had a constantly runny nose?  This has been going on for a few weeks now.  We have a CT scan on 10th April and consultant appointment for results on 24th April.  I am surprised this is so quick, because all the paperwork said it would be 2 to 3 months before any follow up.  He was scheduled for another 2 mop up chemos, so could that be why, to determine whether he needs them or not?   

• Hi Jimswife

Well done to you both for getting through the chemoradiation.  It is brutal but  doable. as Jim has evidenced.

If chemo sessions were missed, then this is possibly why he was  prescribed a further two cycles of chemo. as you say, the forthcoming  CT scan may be to determine whether or not these extra cycles of chemo would be beneficial.  That they are checking on this is a positive thing; for Jim's sake they will not want provide additional treatment unless it is needed.

The runny nose is probably due to the chemo; which may have caused the loss of the fine hairs in the nose.  These hairs are designed to filter out all the unwanted stuff we breath in; pollen, dust etc. Without this filter, the body reacts by creating a runny nose to flush out all the 'nasties'.  Many people on chemo develop a runny nose.

Hope this helps a bit.

I hope the forthcoming scan/appointment brings positive news.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi Kegsy, thank you very much for your reply.   It has been very reassuring. Appreciate it. Jims wife x