Terminal lung cancer not seen on X-ray

• 4 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Last year end  of November beginning of December 2023 my dad went to his GP with all signs of lung cancer- ex smoker, pain in chest, persistent cough, weight loss and loss of appetite.

GP done bloods and sent him for an X-ray, both apparently coming back normal, GP ‘saying no red flags’  we have also found out now he went  for a chest X-ray in 2019 with a cough, X-ray was also normal. 

Fast forward to January 2024 less than a month later he was referred on the 2WW pathway as a precaution due to still having symptoms, but by now he has become unsteady on his feet and confused and is deteriorating fast so is admitted to hospital for tests , on 12 February 2024 our worlds were broken when were were told that our dad had terminal Non small cell cancer, 13 days later he was gone. 

Why would a chest X-ray be normal when he had lung cancer with bone mets ?

• Hi   sorry I wouldn’t know the answer to this, no one here is medically trained, we are all people with this terrible disease ourselves. I am really sorry that this happened to you and your dad, it must of been a terrible shock for you. 

There is a support group here on the Macmillan online community that you may want to join, where you can connect with other people who have recently lost a loved one to this disease. I’ll pop a link below for you.

Bereaved family and friends forum 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Unfortunately an X-ray sometimes doesn't show a cancer. I had the same experience - sent for X-ray which showed nothing so was ecstatic. However I was coughing up blood so sent for CT scan which showed the suspected cancer.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Thank you for your reply Heart

hope you are doing well now xx