Lobectomy

• 10 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Hello  - I had a lung lobe removed 3 weeks ago and still feeling rough.  No appetite,  lack of energy and generally under the weather!  Certainly not my normal self.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

• Hi there,

After a right upper Lobectomy and no complications. I felt pretty reasonable after about 6 weeks and fully recovered after 12. By reasonable I mean I was eating well and going out every day for a walk.  I have a really supportive husband who helped. I tried very hard to do a little bit more every day after 2 to 3 weeks and had to accept that it wasn’t always possible.  It takes a while!

1. Hi , I had a trisegemenecty 5yrs ago and after op I too felt like you but it takes time to heal , I felt even just lifting a spoon to eat my cereal was too heavy but don't over push yourself take your time , just listen to your body , if it want to rest then rest , hope you start to feel better soon x 
  • Thanks  - I need to be patient!

• Well everyone seems to have done well but honestly everyone is different Ittook me a long time to really get going I suppose I was very impatient as I was a very active person before so I found it really hard even though I am a very positive person so don t beat yourself up ifyouhave bad days just take it at your own pace — your body will soon tell you when you have done too much so the main thing I am trying g to say is YOUR body will let you know but try as hard as you can We are all in this together so let us know if you need someone just to rant at Good Luck 

• I've had half my lung removed about 6/7 weeks ago& still in pain myself,is getting alot better& find if I sit down for to long pain is worse. Also think it depends on the person too,how well they recover. The pain I have is normal but am still taking my pain meds. Just take things slow& do what you can & rest when you need too. I've lost 20/25% of lung compacity now so I do need to rest quire a bit at the moment myself  Goid luck with everything.

• Taking me a while to be able to eat and drink normally.   I have a very poor appetite and just feeling abnormal generally.  But I understand it does take some time.

• Hi. 

Just wondered if you are still on any pain meds that might be causing the nausea/lack of appetite?

I felt rough until I realised they had been giving me (despite me warning docs about the bad side effects I suffer) a codeine-based pain killer. Switched to large dose Paracetemol and my eating was back to normal almost immediately. 

You will feel tired though. And when not being physically active, your appetite reduces.

You'll get there!

• I'm not on pain meds so it's not that.   I thought it might be from the chemo treatment but my appetite was starting to improve before I had the surgery.    I am 3 weeks post op but still unable to eat or drink much and feeling very weak.

I suppose it just takes time!

• Hi , sorry you're not feeling good  but remember you've had major surgery and your body needs time to recover , as for eating I was told to eat small and often  which I did and I maybe didn't eat quantity but I ate quality food , I  hope you feel a bit better soon x 

• I also thought it might be medicine as well oh didn’t t realise you had chemo before surgery?