Second opion

• 9 replies
  • 101 subscribers

Hi has anyone asked for  second opinion abroad ?  I saw the news stating America and Australia are 15 years ahead of England for lung cancer care . I’m so concerned and just don’t want to miss any chances . My Husband  is 54 with stage 4 SCLC . The chemo  immunotherapy haven’t worked and he’s going to go into oral chemo shortly 

• Hi   I think the problem would be the cost of treatment abroad. Can I ask where you saw that America and Australia are 15 years ahead? 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi it was on the news a few days ago 

• Thank you, I will do a search and see what I can find, I will be very interested in seeing that. I hope the oral chemo works well for your husband. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Yes so do I but I’m losing hope 

• Oh bless you. It’s so hard isn’t it. But there is still this treatment option. Where there is treatment there is always hope. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I found the sky news article. It does mention that the uk are lagging behind, but this is because of the timescale of diagnoses and treatment starting, not because of new treatments available. I will pop a link below for anyone that wishes to read the article. 

Sky news article

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thankyou but as almost to prove the point we have just been told there is a national shortage of the tablets he needs . He will now have to try the last option temporarily which apparently is very harsh . So …. We are both in shock that we can’t get his healthcare the one time he needs it in the UK . 

• Oh my goodness Tuesday, that is really awful to hear. I am so sorry that you are both being let down like this. It’s a disgrace, and a worrying sign that our NHS is failing. This is one of the points noted in that news report, that treatment times and treatments are failing the uk. We have the knowledge and the necessary treatments here, but they are not being implemented quick enough, or in your case not available at all. 

It sounds like he has no choice but to try this treatment. How many more people will be effected by this I wonder. These medicine shortages are becoming more common. I’m so sorry, words are not enough. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thankyou I’m very disappointed and upset