Scan results on dad - SCLC with brain mets

• 1 reply
  • 104 subscribers

Hi all,

I’ve posted in here a few times and I always find it helpful reading other peoples updates so I thought it was worth sharing ours. My dad was diagnosed with extensive SCLC in January this year, he’s only 50. He had chemotherapy first and then completed his radiotherapy at the start of May. We had the scan results today to find out if the radiotherapy had made any impact.

The news is bitter sweet (as it seems to always be with these things!) The good news was that the radiotherapy has helped to slightly shrink the brain tumours and the ones in his lymph nodes.

The bad news is that there seems to be two new growths - one in his left lung and one on his liver. These are new as they weren’t there in the last scan he had. The oncologist feels that we’ve caught these new ones early as they are small (5mm) so they’re going to start him on another round of chemotherapy (different drugs to what he had last time). We haven’t been told when this will be starting but hopefully soon.

As it seems to be the case for this whole journey, we’re pleased there’s been impact from the radiotherapy but of course sad that it has gone to other places. He’s staying strong though and we’re glad the doctors are remaining optimistic, in the meantime my family and I are just focusing on helping him get through this next round of treatment to come. 

Hope this provides possible help or comfort to someone. He’s still going strong 7 months later and has lots of fight left in him x

• Hi Eleni_ thank you for the update, it is always good to hear how people are getting on. 

That really is a bittersweet result from the scan, but really good to hear that the radiotherapy has worked so well. This cancer journey really does take us on a rocky journey. I hope the chemo gets Dad back onto a more steady path. Xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge