What is this life

• 11 replies
  • 108 subscribers

My father passed away this april from stage 4 nsclc at 64 years old, and now i have been diagnosed with same stage 4 nsclc wit metastasis to liver and spine. I'm 26 years old i have so many dreams and plans for the future i can't belive this is hapening. I have a brother sister and mother and we have been watching my dad battle with this illness go through excruciating pain and then succumb with it and it devasted us. I haven't told any of them yet they don't have a clue and i don't know at all how to tell them, i feel this will absolutley destroy them. It just feels so surreal like im  in this nightmare from which i can't wake up. I'm so scared, scared of pain, scared of death, scared for my family. I'm drowning and i don't know what to do

• Hi Dano I'm so sorry about your dad and you are going through this at such a young age. But let me give you some hope. In 2015 I lost my husband to sclc I was devastated but found this site helpful. In Oct 2017 I had a bad chest and  had an xray and was told to repeat in 6 weeks. Never did as my brother was Unfortunately diagnosed with lung cancer and died Dec 2017. Then in Mar 2018 my sister in law also died of lung cancer. It eas just by chance I asked for repeat my xray and on May 16th 2018 I was diagnosed with stage 4 nsclc mets to lymph nodes incurable I was devastated and telling my children and my mum were rhe hardest things I had to do. Infact mum fell over and broke her hip not even an hour after tellinf her I think it was probably shock.

Anyway I was put on immunotherapy I done 2 years though at one point had issues with my liver and put on high dose steroids.. I'm almost 2 yrs post immunotherapy free and my last scan still showed shrinkage. So stay positive my family still needs me so I need to hold on. Your young stay positive but you need to share this with your family friends. I've just celebrated my 60th birthday I never thought I would reach it. 

Sharon

• Hi I'm very similar to above I'm 52 got stage 4 uncruble which had spread got diagnosed last July had immunotherapy which damaged my liver had to stop was on high does steriods for 9 months had chemo and radiotherapy my last scan 6 weeks ago my cancer stable feeling well now just achey bones please stay positive I've even started lane swimming to help body and mind got scan in August fingers crossed hope this helps xxx

• Thank you guys. I'm a mess i can't control my emotions at all i'm crying all the time if i'm not punching the wall a nd breaking stuff i can not accept this at all. Still haven't told my family i'm so scared for my mother she has been through so much and now she has to burry her son this will kill her. Life is so unfair

• Hi Dano0710 welcome to the group but so sorry you find yourself here. 

I am so sorry that you lost your father in April to this awful disease. Losing a parent is very hard, but to then have to face the diagnoses yourself is terrifying. Although I am older than you, I lost my mum in 2013, then I too was diagnosed just one year and one day after she passed. 

You cannot face this on your own, and as a parent myself with children at a similar age to you, I would want to know. I can understand you are trying to protect everyone else, but they really would want to be there for you. Is there one family member you could confide in, who could support you to tell your mum ? 

There is lots of support available to help you navigate this path. Can I first suggest you call the Macmillan support line and chat to someone there. It is completely confidential and is open 7 days a week from 8am until 8pm. Call 0808 808 00 00. 

They could also arrange a buddy service for you, where someone can call you once a week to support you through these early weeks. 

Also if you have a Maggie’s centre near you, they are a very welcoming space to pop into to chat to someone there. You may find they have support groups for young people with cancer, so you can meet people who are in a similar situation to yourself. 

Please give Macmillan a call today, it will make you feel better just to talk to someone about this x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi I was same with liver then high steriods can I ask you please does your joins ache as mine do even my knees finding this quite hard as won't go again I was on steriods for 8 months had it in candular at Christmas as immunotherapy was attacking my liver like cancer even started swimming to ease the join pain but seems to make it worse 

• I've been off steriods now for 3 months but really achey joins don't know if from steriods are the treatments is this normal as worry its in my bones but last scan I was stable 

• Hi Dano,

I'm so sorry to hear your story. 

I'm very new to this. Was diagnosed with stage 4 Renal Cancer with met to the spine 2 weeks ago. Last Friday I was told also spread to lungs. I'm devastated. 

Hopefully starting TKI shortly. Best of luck 

Stu.

• Dano

Life is shit and so bloody unfair. 

My life went down the pan a very short time ago, or so it seemed. Please give yourself a bit of time.

You can't fix this but you can live with it. Keep reading these messages, the guys on here have pulled me right back from where I was a few weeks ago, they are so supportive, have some great experiences and understand things in the way only we will.

Make sure you call the MacMillan support line. The whole MacMillan team are brilliant.

I went into hospital with what I thought was shoulder pain and backache and came out with Stage 4 sclc which is in my vertebrae, liver, kidneys, I stopped listening then.

I'm a bit older than you but was just as scared. Scared of telling my family, scared of the prognosis and scared to face the fact I now had a time limit. To be fair everyone has a time limit, its just that we are now so more aware of ours. 

Daft as it sounds, use that to your advantage, use that to make plans, do things your way and start to look at a new life in a new way.

I've got married for the 3rd time to my partner of 17 years, something I said I'd never do, I'm making plans for what I want or do and learning to find something new every day including making new friends in here.

Like I said, you cant fix thix this, but you can and will live with it. We all have some challenges to face, some more than others, but we will get there.

Hope you read this and at least send me a thumbs up, we are all here to help you.

Take care guys,

Rameses. 

• Hi Dano

i was diagnosed with NSCLC December 2021, with bone mets, there is no right or wrong way to feel, do what helps you get through the day, I know I did at first, as you move along the road things will get better and you will find the strength you need.

in the meantime I find this forum very supportive, just reading others stories helps me understand my situation. When I’ve been in need of support everyone here has been great.

take care hugs 

Donna

• You poor thing. You're in the worst place just now but hold on to the idea that things constantly change. It won't stay like this. I think they're right. Phone the help line. You shouldn't be where you are on your own. Hugs