Peripheral neuropathy

• 9 replies
  • 107 subscribers

Hello 

Has anyone suffered from peripheral neuropathy? Has anyone got any hints or tips to help reduce the affects.

• Hi Hollsmolls

My pn was caused by Paraneoplastic Syndrome (PNS), which is a relatively rare autoimmune reaction to certain cancers. The neurological symptoms were the reason I why I went to the GP and led to the subsequent diagnosis of Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC).  I was warned the chemo would probably make it worse, which it did!  9 years on I accept that my PN is permanent.  I was offered various drugs but declined as they all tend to be anti-depressants.  When the effects  flare up e,g restless legs I take antihistamine tablets, which work for me. Also, you need to make sure that you do some walking during each day; with PN, the 'use it or lose it' theory applies.  If you don't move on a regular basis you will find that the pn will worsen.

Hope this helps a little bit, but feel free to ask questions.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi Hollsmolls. I do not have any personal experience with this, but my Mum did suffer with peripheral neuropathy in her feet after chemo, and I know how painful it was for her. My daughter would sit and massage her feet for her, which she did find helped a little. There is an information page about peripheral-neuropathy which may help. 

Take care

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you

I am so hoping it will ease now I've had my  last chemo. I have bought a foot massager and take amitriptyline from a previous nerve  prob. Prob not helped that both my hands have had ulnar nerve decompression op so weakness was already there. And had a back op for a slipped disc on a nerve. So its probably attacking the previous weakness. 

Thanks again 

• I still have some residual neuropathy in my feet from chemotherapy.  My mouth also remains a little sensitive to cold.

It took some months after finishing chemo for my neuropathy to significantly lessen,

• Hello Kegsy

How long have you had lung cancer? I am reading your post wrongly I think. You mention 9 years.

Best

Greengirl

• Hi Greenfield

Diagnosed August 2011 and finished treatment and of 2011. I have 6 monthly check ups and a CT scan every two years.

hope this helps.

" Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi Kegsy

Sorry to sound thick,  new to this,  but you cannot be stage 4 with such an outcome, is that right?

Regards

Greengirl 

• Hi Greengirl

I never asked what 'stage' my cancer was. However when I asked how long I would have without treatment, I was told "just months".  Everyone  is different so predicting an 'end time' is not an exact science.

Best to focus on through the treatment plan.  

I am very aware that we are hi-jacking Hollsmolls thread, so if you have any more questions please ask via my recent 'SCLC; 9 years post treatment' thread.

Kesgy x