After external beam Radiation what happens next.

• 6 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Hi  I went for a Chest XRay in March 2020, told by a doctor had a suspect lung cancer, I went for CT Scan,  an Oncologist  said I had got a tumour in my  left lung, then went for a PET scan, I was told the tumour was not resectable by the Radiation oncologist, they were not doing  a biopsy at that time, because of C virus, just before I was due to go for Radiation therapy, they put me in for a biopsy, that confirmed I had lung cancer Squamous, tumour size 3 to just over 4cm.Diagnosis was T2 N0 M0, so is stage 1b.

I went for the Radiation therapy for 4 weeks, 20 sessions, 2.75 Grays a session, making 55 Greys of radiation in all, finished the Radiation therapy in May, was told then that, I would have another CT scan in around three months, in the meantime I got mild Radiation Pnumontis was taking Ibuprofen to keep the inflamation down, I eventually reported it to the Lung nurses, because the CT Scan was due, the oncologist booked me a chest X-ray that confirmed I had Pnumontis, it also showed my tumour had reduced, they prescribed, a steroid, Prednisolone for the Pnumontis, I did not really want to take it, but after being told that if it did not work for me, I could stop taking it,  I have been suffering from CPTSD for the last 18 months, which is from 40 years ago, it has been so bad that I had to stop working in April 2019, I never had any real mental health problems til then, I was referred to mental health in February 2019 to  IAPT, still not seen anyone yet, after five assesments I decided to go to a private therapist been seeing her for a year that stopped in April due to C virus,  after taking Prednisolone for five days, I had some kind of mental breakdown or fit, similar to a CPTSD emotional flashback but different, did something to my Amagdala and Hippercampus, still do not think I have recovered from that yet, and that was October 12th when I stoped taking Prednisolone, I went back to taking Ibuprofen it has worked well so far, I am taking it with Lansoprazole so the Ibuprofen does not damage my stomach too much.

To get to the point, I had my CT scan on the 17th of October 2020, the Radiation Oncologist rang me on the 19 December he said my tumour has broken down by  over 50% of its original size, and told me he will make an appointment in three months time to ring me,  I have not been put on any other medication, do I just wait for another three months, and then what happens?

I would appreciate anyone who has experience of what happens, next with non resectable NSCLC, when this is treated by Radiation only.

• Hi BGJ and welcome to the group, although sorry you have found yourself here. I do not have the same lung cancer as you, but I too am inoperable, and I had radiotherapy. That is really good news to hear the radiotherapy has shrunk the tumour by 50%.  It is also very encouraging that your oncologist doesn’t want to see you for 3 months. I’m sorry I can’t answer what happens next, as it might be a number of things. There are a few members here with NSCLC who will hopefully come along and tell you their experience. 

Take care 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you for your reply chellisimo, yes thought it was good news when I first had the chest X-ray for Radiation Pnumontis, had to be confirmed by the CT scan, I know Radiation therapy does not touch some types of NSCLC, so know it can keep on replicating, looking must it must have damaged the DNA that stops replication, still wondering how long after Radiation therapy this goes on for and when does this stop, as all cancers are pretty unique it is probably not known.

Thanks for your speedy response, think all together have spent maybe half an hour if that with the oncologists since April, trying to get the Lung nurses to reply is not an easy task getting through to an oncologist, is like pulling teeth, I have had two telephone appointments as well but, so much harder on the phone to get descriptive knowledge.

I was really pleased to have been fitted in for  that Biopsy, with the CVirus gaining ground at that time, not a very nice experiance,but at least you know what you have got then, evidence rather than judgement from a PET Scan.

• Hi BGJ I too have lung cancer which is stage 4 I have just had 1 week of radiotherapy and was told yesterday that I’m starting chemotherapy and immunotherapy in a few weeks the radiotherapy for my cBlushe was to reduce like chellesimo said the fact he don’t want to see you for 3 months is a good thing keep hope Blush

• Hi BGJ

Great news about the reduction in the size of your tumour. Hopefully the 'shrinkage' will be continuing as radiotherapy carries on working  for some time after the last treatment. This is why the next appointment has been scheduled for 3 months time.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Then sayings are awesome Clap 

• Thank you Donc and kegsy for your replies, just a bit annoying not knowing what the crack is and just waiting about,, just looked at your profile Donc see you are recently diagnosed, hope the chemo and imumatherapy work well, suppose we are lucky in one way, that immunotherapy and targeted therapy have transformed the treatment within the last few years, thought I had stage 2 for 6 months as was diagnosed T2a N0 M0, after research I realised I was stage 1b, not getting the information from the Oncologists which I find annoying, asked my oncologist what kind of Squamous I had, either Primitive,Classical,Secretory or Basal, this is found by analysis of the DNA of tumour cells, the Oncologist said those groupings are used for skin, I know this grading is used in Lung, suppose they may not have looked at profiling my DNA, just wish they would tell you how it is, not happy about being fobbed off, same happened with Radiation Pnumontis, Lung nurses generally said Ibuprofen does not work for Radiation Pnumontis, they always prescribe a Steroid type anti inflammatory, I have read the trials comparing Ibuprofen v Steroid type medication, granted Ibuprofen is not as effective as a Steroid med such as prednisolone, Ibuprofen does not come with the side effects of that though, it has worked for me I know about it on my Lung function, if I miss taking two every four hours, at least I found this out, do not know what I would have done if I had not found that out myself as the Lung nurses would not have advised me to take it, granted one Oncologist knew it worked, when I could not take Prednisolone, finding out you have to be your own advocate in some situations, also when I was having Radiation therapy no one told me how many Greys of Radiation I was getting I had to get one of the Radiation external beam technicians to tell me. Thanks again for all your replies and all the best.