Stopped treatment

• 8 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi everyone. I just feel very lost and need some help. 
My mum was diagnosed with SSLC in May this year. Unfortunately it had spread to too many areas and they gave her 4-12 months and offered chemotherapy. She had the 4 rounds and then her scan shown that the cancer had still spread to even more places. They offered her a different kind of chemotherapy however after only 2 rounds it has still spread more and they have stopped the treatment altogether. Now they have given her 2-3 months and said make memories with her children and grandchildren, she is only 61.

She is in so much pain, even after her morphine dosage being increased and is just so tired all the time and just wants to sleep which I guess is her body telling her she needs to rest. 

I just don’t know where to turn to (my friends and family are very supportive but I mean in a professional aspect) is this her coming to the end of her life? I just can’t believe it’s happened so quick and no treatment has worked. It appears to be very aggressive and I just don’t want my mum to suffer. 

• Hi sp87

im sorry to hear about your mum, I’m sure somebody on here will be in touch, someone with more knowledge, in the meantime 

I will be thinking of you and you mum and hope her pain is at ease and your family is helping each other

stay strong love 

Donna x

• Thank you for your kind words x

• Hi sp87

So very sorry that you find yourself in this position.

I think deep down that you know your Mum is sadly approaching the end of her life. However, in this day and age, no-one should be in  end of life pain.  Please contact her cancer team and/or GP to get the pain situation sorted.  Mum could possibly benefit from a couple of days in hospital to get her pain relief sorted and receive some respite care.

I send you and your Mum my very best wishes that pain relief can be sorted very quickly to give the family the time to make those memories.

Kegsy x.

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • We were in hospital last week and they just increased her morphine. Will speak to the Macmillan nurse thank you for your reply and lovely words x

• So Sorry SP87, to hear of your mums  quick decline Guess you must feel like my family , one description is out of control . It all happens so fast . I think what happens now is what is best for your mum, sadly in these cases  we tend to grieve before the end rather than cherish each day  we have. Your mum does not need to suffer ask if you feel she needs more help or ask if you need help. You don't need to do this alone. No one wants any patient to suffer but cancer can be a mean adversary and is still defying medical science. Will be thinking of you during your sad time 

• My mom is also been told she has been referred for palative care as her womb cancer has spread to her lungs. She is 89 but still really well they have given her some hormone tablets to slow things. No-one is able to give a time frame and I find it heard to believe that they appear to indicate she is close to end of life.

• Unfortunately mum is really poorly. She has been sleeping /bedbound since Sunday morning and hasn’t eaten or drink anything other than a sip of water twice. We are currently waiting on a hospice bed. It’s happened so quick. She was up walking and going to her groups on Friday. We never got to have those last memories we had planned. 

• Hi Sp87

So sorry  to hear this very sad news.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011