Superior Vena Cava Stent

• 2 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi All

Firstly, please forgive me for posting in your lung cancer group when I have cervical cancer ..  I promise there’s a reason why! Stick with me…

Back in Feb I developed a massive blood clot at the end of my port, it almost entirely blocked my superior vena cava and extended down into the right atrium of my heart and led to a delightful 6 week hospital admission.

Since discharge I’ve managed to complete my radiotherapy treatment and now they are looking at dealing with the clot & port. 

The blood clot has shrunk significantly in the past 3 months (I’m on blood thinner injections) and I had a call today from my oncologist. 

They want to remove my port and place a stent in my SVC to prevent further issues.

I’ll meet with the interventional radiologists in a couple of weeks to discuss it further in detail, but does anyone have any personal experiences of SVC stent they would be happy to share with me, so I can know what to expect?

Apologies if not, I just thought I was more likely to connect with others who’ve had a SVC stent on this forum opposed to the cervical one.

Huge thanks in advance 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It sounds like you've had a long and difficult journey so I can understand you wanting to find others who have also had a SVC stent.

I'm not a member of this forum, or had a SVC stent, but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

Although you've said that you thought you'd be more likely to get a reply in the lung cancer forum than in the cervical cancer forum, it might also be an idea to post there as well. 

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi @latchbrook

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Hopefully someone will be along who’s had a SVC stent 

My profile includes diagnosis & treatment :-)

Hope you have a great weekend