Paraneoplastic Syndrome and Lung Cancer

• 2 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi Everyone - at the beginning of January my dad was his usual funny, cheeky, happy self. He enjoyed gardening, driving his car and spending time with his friends and family However, by the end of January, he started feeling dizzy, off balance and had double vision. Despite 3 doctor visits, he was told that it was vertigo every time. Long story, short, he ended up in hospital and after lots of blood tests, an MRI scan, a CT scan and a PET scan, we were given the devastating news that he has paraneoplastic syndrome and lung cancer with a life expectancy of 12 weeks. My dad is now in a nursing home receiving end of life care. I was wondering whether there is anyone on here that has experience of paraneoplastic syndrome at all and is happy to share their experience of it? My father has got to the point where he can no longer talk, see or walk. He is bed bound, cannot watch telly, needs assistance getting to the toilet and can only nod and shake his head to communicate. Its horrendous seeing him like this and me and my sister feel so helpless. All that we can do, is sit with him and talk about our day (which makes us feel so bad as it's a completely different life to what he is living). I am reaching out in the hope that someone can just give me some advice, tell me what I can expect over the coming weeks etc. Thank you

• Hi CLJonesey

I am so very sorry that you have cause to be on here.

Its the cancer that generates the PNS by releasing toxins into the bloodstream.  These toxins attack the body's nervous system, with varying degrees of severity. The lung cancer and not the PNS  is the reason why Dad is now receiving end of life care.

I have Paraneoplastic Syndrome (PNS). However I was lucky and my symptoms/ side effects  of the PNS are the less of destructive i.e peripheral neuropathy. In my case the PNS was impacting on the periphery part of my brain/nervous system; which  resulted in the sporadic numbness in my limbs. I think your Dad has the version of PNS that impacts the central nervous system; brain & spine. hence the devasting symptoms he is experiencing.

I had what I  refer to as my '3 week physical meltdown', where some very strange things were happening across my body. It was this that got me to the GP, where i managed to convince the GP that something serious was going on. thankfully she listened and arranged for me to go to the local hospital for blood test and a chest x-ray.  Within days, and to the surprise of my GP, I was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung (SCL). I do not think that many GPs are aware of PNS or the relating symptoms/indicators.

In some cases, the successful treatment of  the cancer, can also eliminate the PNS.  Not in my case, and even though the cancer treatment was successful, I still have to work hard to maintain my mobility/dexterity.

My PNS is so very much milder than you Dad's, plus my SCLC was treatable , so I regrettably I cannot offer advice on how to deal with it.  

My only advice is to please forget about the PNS and focus on the very precious time you have left with your Dad.

My thoughts are with you all.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi  I cannot add to what  has said, as she has explained it beautifully. I just wanted to pop on and say how very sorry that dad is going through this, and I know how tough this is for you.

There is support for you to help you through this difficult time. You can come here to chat, but there is also a group Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum  which you may find helpful. Here you will meet other people in a very similar situation to yourself. 

You can also call the Macmillan support line. They are available 7 days a week from 8am until 8pm on 0808 808 00 00. 

I do hope dad is as comfortable as can be. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge