Stage 3b NSCLC not responded to chemo

• 2 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi all, we had a review today with the oncologist. Dad has had 3 cycles of chemo- one cistplatin and vinorelbine and 2 carboplatin and pemetrexed. The oncologist has said from the recent CT scan that the cancer hasn’t responded to chemo and the tumour has slightly grown. They are now looking at 20 sessions of radiotherapy. Has anyone had this experience before?

• Hi   sorry to hear that dad didn’t respond to chemo. I have had radiotherapy but I haven’t had chemo. Radiotherapy worked very well for me. The whole process is relatively easy, you lay on a bed and a machine like an X-ray machine moves around you. It is completely painless, and each session is over in minutes.

Like all treatments there are side effects which will be discussed with dad prior to treatment. The worst one for me was tiredness. I also had a red square patch on my chest which was like sun burn. They advise you what cream to get to help with this. My oesophagus also became very sore, so I ate lots of ice cream and ice lollies to help with this. 

I hope dad is ok and not too despondent with this news. Radiotherapy can be a very successful treatment. Lots of people here have had good results with radiotherapy alone. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Pemetrexed didn't fo much for me either.

Radiotherapy is very good for pain, if he has lots of pain.

It goes have its side effects though.