How long after chemo to start radiotherapy?

• 4 replies
  • 68 subscribers

I wonder if there’s anyone here that’s had chemotherapy prior to their radiotherapy and what was the time between the last cycle and the start of the radiotherapy? My dads due his last cycle next Thursday. It’s a 3 week cycle. I am due to go away w/c 22nd April and wondered if the radiotherapy might start after I’ve been away (would be 4/5 weeks in total). Any ideas from other people’s experiences would be greatly appreciated. We don’t have our next oncology apt until Wednesday and I’m feeling a bit anxious about it all.  

• Hi Deli

I have a feeling that this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

Every treatment is slightly different even if the components are the same. It will probably be determined  by how  much the chemo has shrunk the cancer, together with how well your Dad has tolerated the chemo.

Has Dad already had his mapping session CT scan i.e the one where they do tiny tattoos on his chest? If no, then he will probably have to have this done ahead of any radiotherapy.

Sorry that I cannot give a definitive answer. I wish you the best outcomes for your Dad.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi Deli, unfortunately I would agree with Kegsy, only your dads medical team can answer this one. I have known people to have radiotherapy whilst having chemo, some go straight into radio after chemo with no break, some wait a few weeks. It is all down to the individual. 

I can understand how anxious you are feeling about it all, I’m the type of person that copes with things better if I know a plan. I hope when you see the oncologist on Wednesday you get the answers you need. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi   and  

thanks to both of you for replying to me. My dad did have a planning scan back in early Feb but his treatment plan has changed so I am assuming he will need another one before any radiotherapy starts. To be honest my dad isn’t coping very well with the treatment psychologically to the point today it has all come to a head and he’s said that he doesn’t want to continue and that he basically wishes that he was dead. I am devastated but I am hoping that we can push through to the conversation on Wednesday with the oncologist and that he is willing to speak with her. I am here everyday trying to keep things ticking over but he has said that he feels I am being pushy and over bearing. This morning it took me making breakfast sandwiches with 3 slices of bread rather than 2 to tip things over the edge. I’m starting to feel at a lose end and not knowing how to move forward with things as I am desperate for him to complete his treatment 

•    I am so sorry to hear this. Chemo is extremely tough going. There is lots of help available if dad would be willing. 

Do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area.

Do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.Anyone can pop into a Maggie's centre, they support the families of people fighting cancer, as well as the patient. 

We also have our Telephone Buddy Service where you can be matched with someone who understands what you're going through, and they'll give you a weekly call.

Macmillan have teamed up with Bupa to offer up to 6 free counselling sessions. You can read more about that by clicking here.

I know dad still has radiotherapy therapy to go, but this really isn’t as harsh as chemotherapy. It does come with side effects of course, but it doesn’t effect the body in the same way that chemo does. I would encourage your dad to continue with this, but I am sure the oncologist will talk to him about this on Wednesday. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge