Surgery or Radiotherapy

• 13 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Help! I'm stuck between surgery or radiotherapy to remove lung cancer rl middle lobe! I'm very high risk due to other medical problems and when I met the surgeon this week he was brutal. Scared the crap out of me. SO, now I've got to what to see the oncologist on 27th March! Has anyone had a similar experience? TIA XXXXX

• Thank you lovely, struggling a bit today (maybe reality hit) so your message means a lot.

Hubby definitely seems set on the radiotherapy route as it's less invasive so as long as something the oncologist doesn't say it's not as effective which as far as I can see won't be the case, I think that's the road we'll go down too.

Did you have to wait long for treatment to start?

Our appointment is on Thursday. Really worried about that as my experience of oncologists with other family is brutal (as I know they have to be but doesn't make it any easier to hear)

• I was given a choice between SBRT and surgery.  I chose SBRT because I was immune compromised from just having completed 6 months of chemotherapy for another cancer.  Covid has just appeared so there was no vaccine for it and the risk of complications seemed too high.

It didn't work for me so in 2022 I had a lobectomy.  I have had spontaneous rib fractures which is a known risk with radiotherapy but I remain cancer-free.

My hospital has MDTs so I was able to talk to both the surgeon and the radiation oncologist before making a decision.

• Hello. I agree that they're quite brutal, I found that with the surgeon, he scared me witless....

My treatment started within 2 weeks. You have the planning scan first, that takes the longest time because they have to plot out the radiotherapy stuff! Too technical for me lol! Once that's done they'll phone to give you the first treatment date. My treatment is 5 sessions, apparently that is normal. My last one is this Wednesday. 

No real side effects tbh apart from fatigue but that's something I've always had anyway. Bit of pain in my back but again this is something I'm used to.  

Whatever questions you think of before you go, write them down, you'll forget everything! If you've done this with other family then you're one step ahead! 

Good luck. Please let me know how you both get on. I'll message you privately if it's better xxxx