Pain

• 4 replies
  • 68 subscribers

I've just been diagnosed with low grade operable lung cancer and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia! They're saying that surgery is the better option for the lung cancer but that radiotherapy is good too. I don't know what to do. I'm obese but they've not said anything about it! I've only got the cardio pulmonary test to do then they'll tell me the best option. Has anyone had to make the same decision and are there any preferences? Also, I've got a very small tumor and they're saying that I shouldn't have any pain but I've got pain in my shoulder and back. Is this normal and what sort of pain relief should I be getting?

Thanks all. Have a peaceful day. Rebecca xxxx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Having to make treatment decisions can be hard but it sounds like your treatment team will help guide you.

I'm not a member of this forum but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again and hopefully someone with the right experience will be along shortly.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  sorry I missed your post, and thank you   for bumping it up the thread. 

Surgery is alwats the best option for a cure from lung cancer. Depending on where in the lung the cancer is, they may decide to take a wedge, or one lobe of the lung. If the tumour is large and impacting the middle of the lung, they may decide to take the whole lung. People live very normal lives with just one lung. 

It is not always possible to have surgery, and radiotherapy can be a very successful treatment in its own right. With all cancer treatments everyone has different effects to their cancer, and can experience different side effects. I had radiotherapy to my top right lobe of my lung. It did shrink the tumour so it is now unmeasurable, but the top lobe does not work, it does not fill with air, so it is the same effect as if it was removed. 

The choice between surgery or radiotherapy will not be an easy one, and hopefully it will be your medical team that will make this decision for you. If they do ask you to choose, which I have seen on the forum before, I would ask the consultant which he thinks is the better option for you. He is the professional and the most experienced to answer this for you. I personally never understand why the consultants give such decisions to the patient. I much prefer to be told, “this is what you need and so this is what we will do.”

It is reassuring to hear that it is a very small tumour, but I am sorry to hear you are in pain. There are lots of different pain relief available, so if the medication you are taking at the moment is not helping, then speak to your GP about this to see what else you can try. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, I was in the same position as you last September regarding your lung cancer diagnosis. The lesion I had was just under 3cm, I opted for the radiotherapy (SABR) and had my last treatment on the 15th December.  I researched the two options and decided that the radiotherapy was the less riskier of the two.  

Sorry to hear about your lymphocytic leukaemia diagnosis and I wish you well in the future.

Ann Heart

• Thanks. I'm still unsure but my doctor is suggesting that surgery would be the better way to go! I'm so confused. Did you have many issues with the side effects? Xxxx