Severely unwell after first chemo - cisplatin - anyone else ?

• 2 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi everyone 

just to give some context, my dad had his first chemo treatment a week ago today. He had 80% dose of cisplatin. My dad has CA lung which is NSCLC stage 3b non-resectable. He’s been offered concurrent Chemoradiotherapy. 

On Sunday before chemo he had a bout of diarrhoea for about 4-5 hours. We got some OTC loperamide (Imodium) and Monday he said he felt ok to go. He chose not to tell them he’d had diarrhoea because he was worried the treatment would be postponed. 

since Tuesday he has been severely unwell, nausea, unable to eat properly - he has had maybe 1 slice of toast and a biscuit on average each day. When the chemo started he weighed 55.8kg and 7 days later weights 52.1kg. 

Yesterday we called an ambulance as I was very concerned about him. He’s barely moved for 6 days. He was treated in A&E with antibiotics as his temp was 37.7, had anti sickness Ondaneston and now on AMU. The doctor last night said his blood work looked fine. They have sent off some cultures which we will get back today. 

I am immensely worried about this first experience of chemo. He is saying he can’t do it again. All of the info online doesn’t go into detail about this kind of adverse experience. To anyone reading this with any similar experiences please can you reach out to me? I am worried sick. All I can find on google are things relating to death.

Before the chemo he was eating and drinking well and independent with all of his daily living activities 

• Hi Deli, your poor dad, that sounds absolutely awful for him. I do understand him not wanting to have anymore chemo after this experience. However I do wonder how much is down to the chemo, and how much of it was maybe a bug or virus that he seemed to have before the treatment. That is why it is so important that we mention any signs of illness, no matter how small it may be at the time.

I hope dad is recovering well from this, and if he does decide to continue with the chemo he has a much better time of it. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, sorry I am replying some weeks after your initial post. My hubby had a severe reaction to his first treatment and had to go to hospital where he ended up with a catheter on for 3 weeks as he got constipation and was screaming in pain and had a serious water infection. I thought he had suffered a stroke with his symptoms  He just seemed to age 10 years overnight and lost 10lbs in a week. However we are now 2 years further on and although he hasnt put all his weight back on he is only about half a stone lighter than pre diagnosis and has now completed his 2 years treatment and has been stable for the last 9 months. He turned 80 in November which was a milestone I didn't think we would see. Hope your dad progresses ok. Its not always an easy ride but hang in there and let others help when and where they can and make time for yourself. Good luck