Mum just been diagnosed

• 1 reply
  • 67 subscribers

My 78year old mum has recently been diagnosed with possible lung cancer, following a CT scan. After the results she has had stents fitted in each lung and a Biopsey. She received two letters on Saturday, one addressed to her for an appointment Biops y results and a second addressed to my mum's GP.

The letter addressed to her GP has us quite worried. The statement says probably lung cancer provisionally stage T4 N3 M1a. I have searched this code and it's not good.

We now have to wait four days to speak to the consultant which is going to be unbearable.

My question is if it is as bad as predicted what is my mum's prognosis? Please be honest. Also is there anyone we can talk to about the results any sooner. Can they talk to us over the phone? Thanks Steve

• Hi Steve, welcome to the group but sorry to hear about your mum.

I know the waiting for results is so stressful. It is unfortunate that the GP letter was copied to your mum.  You say that your mums appointment is to discuss the biopsy results. I am guessing that this appointment will be after the MDT meeting, which is the meeting that your mums consultant has with other health professionals, where they discuss each individual patient, and decide which treatment is best for that person. These meetings are held, then the patients appointment is usually the same day, or at least the next. So I don’t think you will be able to discuss this any sooner. 

You don’t yet know what type of cancer your mum has. What I can say is there is so much treatment for lung cancer now. Google is very outdated, so don’t drive yourself mad looking there. There are a few of us here that have been living with incurable lung cancer for some years, so don’t give up hope. X 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge