Neutropenic. Any advice?

• 5 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Just found out I can't have my 2nd cycle of chemo yet as my white blood count is below 1. And I'm neutropenic 

I don't have a temperature so am at home just watching and waiting.(and hoping) that the levels will go up so I can resume treatment soon.

How common is it to get this? Have you had it?

Do you have any tips on improving things, even if there's no evidence to support your tips,

I'm willing to try anything as it's important my treatment isn't halted for too long.

Thanks x

• It took my partner 3 weeks last chemo, this session it took him longer to be neutropenic so they think it'll take a month, I think everyone is different but I wouldn't worry too much about it taking a long time as you need to heal in between treatments. It's a good sign the chemo is working if you become neutropenic as it means it's killed all the cells.

• That's interesting Bequest.

Thanks! X

• OK. Still have a motley rash and its hot to the touch and is now over 50% of my body.  

Now my temperature is 37.6 . Was 36.9 this morning.

Had chemo 3 weeks ago and told yesterday I'm neutropenic.

I phoned the emergency line earlier this morning with pics of my rashes and they said it looked like sunburn. Seriously?

At that point I didn't have a raised temperature  so they weren't concerned.

My question is, should I phone them Again, now I have  a temp of 37.6 (seems to be fluctuating between 37.6 and 37.7)  Or are they only interested in temps over 38.0?

I don't want them thinking I'm a hypochondriac, but my partners adamant I should phone.

I'm not so sure.

What would you do?

• Hi there, yes contact them just to be safe any temp is worrying my partner is on antibiotics and had paracetamol last night due to temperature, better to get it checked, hope all goes well

• Think I'll wait an hour and take temperature again.  If its still up will phone them.

There's so much conflicting advice around. Some say over 37.5 is high and others say 38 0 is classed as high.

So confusing.