New treatments

• 6 replies
  • 70 subscribers

I have been on a clinical trial which seemed to be working at first but then after a second scan showed a new cancer area. It has not spread anywhere else. I have now been taken off the trials as it is not working . My oncologist feels that anti cancer treatments such as chemo might be too toxic for me. Although I am 83 I feel quite fit and able. I have atrial fibrillation and an underactive thyroid. I lead a healthy life and go dancing several times a week although I have not been able to do this for a while as the drugs made my feet and legs so swollen I could hardly walk. That is now getting better. I am back at Christie's next week to see if there are any alternatives. Anyone any ideas on what might be available. Thank you and good luck to all of you

• Hi Mgdockers, I am sorry to hear that the treatment you were on has now stopped. It is such a shame when the trial drugs stop working. I hope that there is another trial for you when you go to Christie’s next week.

On a more positive note, I hope the swelling on your feet continues to get better, so you can get back to your dancing again. 

Please let us know how you get on next week x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Have had no treatment for 3 months. Just had a scan and the tumour has grown although it has not spread to other organs. Chemo is now the only option which I swore I would not have but have said I will try it. Its only once every 3 weeks for 6 cycles so maybe it won't be too bad. Fingers crossed. 

• Hi Mgdockers The chemo may not be as bad as you are imagining. I know it is scary, but many people come through chemo without too many side effects. Everyone is different. but you won't know unless you try. You can always stop if it is too much for you, but it has to be worth a go I think. Where there is treatment there is hope xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Wishing you well with your chemo if you try it and any other possible trials , as Chelle says there is still hope , and I hope you get back to your dancing darling , because there is so much hope in that too x

• Mgdockers

I hope they find something else that can help you.

You sound very fit and healthy.

It's frustrating to think that you're trying  your hardest, but when they withdraw treatment it must  feellike they're giving up on you.

If they're offering chemo I would go for it.  They can always adjust doses.

But that is your decision. X

• Hi Mgdockers

I think you have made the right decision to have the chemo, and it is unlikely to be as bad as you think it will be. There has been a lot of developments over recent years to make both established and new chemo much kinder in terms of side effects.

The Chemo Unit at The Christie is an amazing place, and the staff will take extraordinary care of you. Surprisingly it is a happy place, often filled with laughter. If you have any issues during the chemo, just tell one of the staff.  The Christie also has a Complementary Therapy team, so if you let the Chemo staff know about your swollen legs/feet, they could ask one of the therapists to come to the Unit to give you a lymphatic draining foot/leg massage while you are having the chemo.

I wish you the best possible outcomes.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011