Feel numb

• 12 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi, I had pneumonia which did not get better with antibiotics, got sent for a CT scan and was told I have a mass on my lungs, got sent for a bronchoscopy the next day so they could do a biopsy, the were unable to do the biopsy as there were to many blood vessels around the mass, but they said it was a carcinoid tumor and it was completely blocking the middle lobe of my lung and the mass was partly blocking the bronchus intermedius.

I got sent for a PET scan two days later, which luckily showed it had not spread anywhere else. The thoracic surgeon said they could do surgery but would have to do open surgery and that they would have to remove both middle and lower lobe due to the location of the tumor.

I have found it very overwhelming, and just feel numb I feel like crying but no tears come out..is this normal 

What is the recovery like after surgery ? 

What is the best way to sleep following surgery?

• Dear Roz85

I don’t have the answer to your questions but so sorry to hear what you are facing. However I think not being able to cry is normal as you might be in shock. 
    there are people here who have had surgery like your planned surgery. They will come along soon I’m sure with their knowledge. 
    Hope all goes well and smoothly and you make a swift recovery. 

• Hi Roz85 I know how scary this must feel at the moment, but surgery is always the best option for a cure. 

It is quite normal not to cry, and to feel like this isn’t really happening. I didn’t cry, until I told my children, then it felt real. 

There is lots of help available to support you through this time. You can come and chat with us here, but If you need to talk to someone please call the Macmillan support line on 0808 808 00 00. They are available 7 days a week from 8am until 8pm. They have nurses that you can chat too who can help you understand the surgery process. There is also a buddy service that Macmillan can arrange for you, so you can chat to someone on a weekly basis on the phone. 

I haven’t had surgery so I can’t answer your questions, but there are a couple of people here in the group who have had lobectomies and hopefully they will be along soon to share their experience with you x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Roz85,

I had my right lung removed 8 years ago by open surgery. Although it is obviously more invasive than keyhole I did find recovery was much better than I had anticipated. I had the operation on a Tuesday and was discharged from hospital on the Sunday, so in there less than a week.

Before I was discharged a physiotherapist gave me some exercises and I was told to walk - at first around the house and garden was enough then up the street and back then slowly building up and I was walking a good few miles after 6 weeks or so. I also had some other exercises to do to keep fully mobile and my advice would be to make sure you follow guidance given and do these. Don't overdo things at first, but don't wrap yourself in cotton wool as inactivity is not good for recovery - just follow instructions.

I found it impossible to lay flat to sleep at first and slept upright in bed propped up by pillows - I have seen some people say they have bought a V-shaped pillow which makes this easier. 

I was petrified beforehand but it was not as bad as I anticipated and is now nothing but a distant memory.

I wish you all the best and if you have any other questions just ask, I'll do my best to answer.

Derek.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Thank you very much for your reply, will definitely follow the instructions given to me after surgery, I have a v shaped pillow from when I had my son a few years ago.

I am so scared about surgery but don't think the waiting is helping..

When you had surgery did you have chest drains? And what pain relief did you have?how long after surgery were you able to get up and walk ?

Sorry for all the questions 

• Don't be sorry to ask questions, if you're like me you'll want to know as much as you can beforehand.

I had a chest drain (I think it's standard) which remained in for three days I think. I do remember people in the ward had this in for different lengths of time but it wasn't long for most.

I found out after surgery that I had an epidural and a pain consultant came to see me before this was removed later that evening or the following morning (the memory is a bit hazy now) - she then came to see me a day later to make sure everything was OK. I then just had codeine (I think) and paracetomol which continued when I came home and was told to gradually reduce codeine when I felt like it which I did afer a short while, then just paracetamol as required. I think it all depends on how you feel and I was under no pressure at all to give up on painkillers. 

I was up and walking (just round the bed at first) as soon as I was out of high dependency, they don't want to have you immobile any longer than is absolutely necessary. After that it was up and down the corridors whenever I felt like it.

It's only natural to be scared, I was absolutely petrified but need not have been in hindsight. As you say, it's the waiting that doesn't make it any easier. I'm sure you'll be just fine, surgery is the best possible treatment you can have for this.

Derek.

• Thank you very much, feel a little less nervous now, just got to hope it will all go smoothly.

1. Hello, I have been given a surgery date of the 5th July, I am relieved to have a date but it had made me feel really nervous, and I hope it all goes smoothly. 
  • I'm glad you have a date now, not long to wait, try to keep yourself busy and try not to dwell on it (I know, easier said than done). You'll be just fine, and remember when it's done the cancer will have gone completely.

All the best,

Derek.

• Thank you very much, will try keep busy( as best I can)

I really hope so, and thank you so much for the kind words.

Roz

• hello Derek ,i have just read your reply to roz and it has given me hope ,i have to have surgery on the 22nd of this month to remove the mddle lobe ,and have been so worried ,it will be done by keyhole ,so hoefully recovery will be good ,as yours ,thanks for easing my mind a little