Malignant Pleural Effusion can it clear up with Pembrolizumab?

• 8 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi all, 

My 62 year old Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer (NSCL adenocarcinoma) in November with a fully collapsed left lung where main tumor is located along with a malignant pleural effusion and mets to his Liver and Spleen. The pleural effusion has been very troublesome for my poor Dad. It landed him in hospital a few times to be drained and again in Jan most recently as it needed to be drained with a large amount of fluid buildup that was causing severe pressure on his heart and caused a partial collapse on his right lung. My Dad had talc procedure for his right lung which was thankfully successful.  During my Dads stay in hospital in Jan the consultant decided to put in an IPC drain on his left lung so my Mum could drain fluid for my Dad at home. Roll on a few weeks and Dad has had his first staging scan. His treatment is Pembrolizumab every three weeks (his PD-L1 was 80% positive) and he has had 3 infusions so far. Yesterday my Dad met with head of his palliative care team due to breathlessness and to discuss the results of his lung function after staging scan. Unfortunately the fluid is continuing to buildup on his left lung that is trapped and fully collapsed causing a lot of pressure on his heart even with draining 500ml per day. The palliative consultant started to talk about hospice and end of life care. We all knew my Dad was very sick but we still had hope that his treatment might help and we feel 3 infusions is still very early days to determine for sure if it will not work. I have two questions really if anyone with any experience in this could possibly give their opinion. Can a trapped lung with malignant pleural effusion clear up with Pembrolizumab? Are 3 infusions of treatment enough to determine real results? 

We are yet to discuss staging scan with Dad's oncologist. The Palliative consultant was only discussing Dad's lung function results from scan and how there is not much more that can be done in terms of fluid buildup. We are due to meet Dad's Oncologist early next week so I want to be prepared to ask a lot of questions. We are fearful his treatment may now be stopped. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

Laura 

• Hi Laura

I am sorry to read your post and can understand how and why you want to prepare for your dad’s appointment. I can’t answer your questions (my husband also has stage 4 NSCLC but so far has not had problems with fluid build up). He has been on combined treatment since July last year and after some scary liver reactions his scan in December showed some tumours had shrunk. He is still on Pembrolizumab and Pemetrexed as maintenance. I know this doesn’t answer your questions but I just wanted to reply and offer some caring thoughts. I have found this online community so helpful and caring since I joined last year. 
    Grasan

• Hi Grasan, thank you so much for your reply and for your kind words. It has been the toughest few months. I have really found this group to be such a great resource and so thankful to have found it. This my first time posting as I really feel helpless at the moment but must remain strong for my Dad. I'm so glad to hear your husbands treatment is going so well. It really gives gives hope to others. Take care of yourself and thank you so much again. 

• Hi Laura, welcome to the group, but sorry to hear about your Dad’s diagnoses. When a loved one receives a cancer diagnoses it is so frightening, especially when they start to talk about palliative care and Hospice. A Hospice is not just there for end of life, it is also the best place to be for pain management and respite.  

I think the questions you are asking are very important for when you see the oncologist next week. I am not sure if you will get the answer here as we can only share our own experience with you, rather than give advice.

You can call the Macmillan support line and talk to someone there about this. They are available 7 days a week from 8am until 8pm on 0808 808 00 00. 

Good luck with the appointment next week. Let us know how your dad gets on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelle,

Thank you so much for your reply and your support I really appreciate. 

Let's hope for a more positive outcome with oncologist next week. 

Thanks,

Laura 

• Hi there...I had a large pleural effusion in July last year and was fitted with an IPC at beginning of aug. I had it in place for 3 months and did daily draining for about 2 1/2 months  (also had talc) treatment, and it did dry up. My oncologist told me pembrolizumab should clear it up, which (touch wood) seems to be the case.

Xx

• Hi Elsie, thank you so much for your reply and I am so happy to hear your positive story. Would you mind if I asked the volume of fluid you drained daily? At the moment we are draining 500ml per day and seems like if we were allowed to we could drain even more. But 500ml was the max for home draining. Did your lung with large effusion ever heal once fluid dried up? We were told my Dads lung would never reinflate due to his lung being trapped. Would you also mind if I asked how long did it take for your Oncologist to see shrinkage while you were on Pembrolizumab? Dad has had 3 infusions so far and a staging scan was done just last week. I not sure of the results yet (we are due to meet his oncologist on Tuesday) but it would be good to know your own experience if you wouldn't mind sharing. Thank you so much again for taking the time to read my post and for your reply. Laura x  

• Hi there...at hospital they drained 1000 mls the day they put the tube in. I was then draining 500 MLS a day for at least 2 months and then it slowly stated to drop. I'd feel like a wind pain when I was 'empty'.  My immunotherapy is every 6 weeks and I think it was on my second CT scan they they could see my tumor had shrunk from 4cm to 1.7cm.  my lung used to feel very wierd and I'd have all sorts of odd sensations...but it is now fully inflated. All together I drained a massive total of 17 litres! 

Feel free to ask questions...it's horrible when there's so many thoughts in your head and no answers easily had. Don't Google....it just has out dated info and is always gloomy!

Xxx

• Wow such a story and inspiration thank you for sharing.

can I ask what kind of lung cancer you had also? And how old you are?

many thanks in advance