Confusion about treatment plan

• 2 replies
  • 67 subscribers

At his last consultant appointment (which I also attended) as well as outlining the chemotherapy and immunotherapy plan the consultant told us he wanted a CT scan before the treatment started and also wanted to see lower than chest. 
He now has his appointments for the therapy and still no CT scan date so we rang the radiology department to be told the consultant request was for scan in October. They advised us to speak to the consultant’s secretary which we did and were told the only request was for a video call appointment and scan in October. 
So now we are left wondering if we misheard, there was a change of plan or something else. We are feeling lost and confused. Any advice would be welcome.

• Hi Grasan, no wonder you are confused. 

I take it a CT was done prior to the treatment plan being decided? If it was quite recent they probably wouldn’t want to re scan at this stage. It is usual to have a CT either during treatment, or at the end to see how well the treatment is going.  The secretary will have the notes from the appointment. Whether he changed his mind or not I don’t know, very strange. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Chelle, his initial CT scan was 10 weeks ago, we’ve been today for his pre-assessment and to meet the nurses etc. The nurse who will be his “named” nurse agreed that it is usual to have a “baseline” scan done so she is going to phone the consultant tomorrow about it and also to clarify how many cycles of chemo immunotherapy he wants B to have. Treatment starts on Wednesday!!!! 
    We also had his clinic letter today which confirmed the cancer is advanced and therefore surgery would not be helpful. The chemoimmunotherapy is to hopefully improve symptoms and slow the cancer. Treatment is not curative but as his fitness is good  there is a reasonable chance of benefit for potentially a number of years. So we will wait and see what this first 3/4 cycles does. 
    Grasan