Terminal Small Cell Lung Cancer Diagnosis

• 12 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hiya, my dad (68) has recently been diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer, that has now spread to his liver,bones and adrenal glands. Unfortunately, due to how quickly and how far it has spread, it is now deemed terminal. With a prognosis of anywhere from a few weeks to few months, my dads health has rapidly deteriorated. Fortunately he is just about eligible for chemotherapy, but even with the best case scenario of this being effective, they have advised he will still be lucky to have another 12 months. He is due to start chemo this week, with a second round in another 3 weeks before more tests to see if it has made an impact. As I will be the main carer for him, I am just looking for any help and advice on how to deal with caring for someone who is going through chemo, from all of the leaflets and info the hospital have given, I’m aware it isn’t going to be the nicest experience for him but I just want to be able to provide the best possible care for him when he is at home.

Thankyou in advance for any help/tips offered 

• my dad was diagnosed with terminal small cell lung cancer in October 2018. He lost his short but brave battle with it in March 2019. he was only 63 years old.

he had palliative chemo to help him to feel more comfortable.

my youngest sister (myself and our middle sis were living in different parts of the country at the time. our middle sis lives in north wales with her partner and their youngest son. myself and my fiance lived in the northeast of England at the time) arranged everything herself. she had help from me, our middle sis and brother for songs going into and coming out of the Cemetary after our dad's service.

we had a lovely service for our dad. well apart from one of our dad's brothers deciding that the priest from the local roman catholic church had to do the service even tho he knew full well that our dad wasn't a religious man.

myself, my two sisters and our brother all agreed that our dad wouldn't have been happy with his brother doing that.

my youngest sister did say that was the only thing that she was (very reluctantly) agreeing to our uncle doing for our dad's service.

she told us that he was trying to take over the arrangements, but the lovely lady at the funeral home said that she would only do what my sister wanted her to do as my sister was her client and not our uncle, so my sister arranged to go and see the funeral director on her own so that they could talk about what my sister wanted.

• Hiya Soph

My mum has none small Cell lung cancer, but like your dad she has mets to liver/bone/adrenal glands.. get the pain relief he needs and have it tweaked as often as it’s needed to find what’s right for him.. also have a Google of “independent living” within your area and have them come to your dads home and they will asses him for things he needs at home if he’s struggling with certain things like the stairs/bathing/wheel chair.. all of this is funded by your local council and will not cost either of you a penny.. it’s a tough ride! But keep on to a little bit of hope, I think that’s what’s getting us all through these times at the minute, I hope your well.. x

• Hi Soph, My Mum has Small Cell Lung Cancer and on Monday was told 6 weeks without Chemo and 6 months with Chemo, this palliative, just keep it suppressed a little longer as small cell is so fast, she started Chemo on Wednesday and she is going to take first two round of chemo and then re-assess  - At this point we are taking one day at a time 

Thinking of you, Look after yourself to xx

• So sorry to her about your mum Toppy.. hoping she gets the best outcome with the chemo x

• I’m so sorry to hear you lost your dad, as much as families are amazing sometimes they can be a pain in times where you need them to be more helpful. Atleast the funeral went the way your dad would have wanted In the end xx

• Hiya lovely!

im so sorry to hear of your mums diagnosis,  is she currently going through chemo?

I have spoken to our local adult social services who have advised that unless I obtain a form called a DS1500, there is a 20 week wait for an assessment. I contacted my dads assigned Macmillan nurse and she said she will look in to it for me and come back to me. I am honestly so grateful for all of their help over the past few days!

you are completely right, even when it may feel like there isn’t much hope to hold on to, you have to look a bit harder but it’s always there.

Thankyou so much for your advice, it has been so helpful!

I hope you are still managing to smile through these really crappy times!xx

• Hiya Toppy,

im so so sorry to hear about your mums diagnosis, it really is awful! 

how did she get on with her first round of chemo? 

also importantly, how are you coping with all of this? Xx

• Yes! My mums nurses have been nothing short of great they helped her with all that side of things once she’d obtained that form from her GP they went through everything she was entitled too as my mums still young (57) she was still working so they helped massively! Her assessment was pushed through quickly so hopefully once your dad gets his form it’ll be all systems go for him too..

Its frustrating at times but you have to dig deep to push you through some of the tougher days, my mums really struggling at the minute she finished radiotherapy last week and is due chemo next week but she ended up being admitted this morning with fluid on her bad lung so she’s waiting for it to be drained.. it never ends really x

• I’m so pleased they managed to get it all sorted for your mum! The support from the nurses just makes it all seem a bit easier doesn’t it!

oh bless her! That’s so rubbish! Hopefully they can get it drained quickly so she can get back home! How is she feeling within herself? x

• Just trying to keep her spirits high and have faith that this could have a better outcome.  She was great this morning bright eyed and bushy tailed....I can't believe it, so there is hope for a little longer.  Hows you Mum?  How is your Little one?  Just as important, how are you!!!

take care 

T