Immunotherapy problems

• 27 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi looking for advise, my dad has been having chemo and immunotherapy but has recently had issues with raised alt levels on his liver due to the immunotherapy. He's currently on a break k from it whilst on steroids. His levels are going down but the consultant has said he has to choose if he goes back onto the immunotherapy as it may possibly happen again. So just looking for advise really if anyone has been in this position? Can anyone help? 

• Well that seems to be good that they are threatening it aggressively as they can. Yes it could be the morphine doing that alright or it could be the treatment.  What kind of radiotherapy treatment is your  mother get in at the minute? Is her cancer confined to one place in a lung ? 

• Hi I think it’s external beam … not sure . 13 treatments over 2.5 weeks. Finished beg June. It’s a large tumour in her top left lung snd another little one bottom left snd a few lymph nodes in same lung . 

• I see that should be it well treated with all them sessions. I know it a worrying time waiting for the next scan.but be confident in the treatment that it will do it’s job. But the way your feeling is totally natural I’m in the same boat as yourself. 

• Hi all, just found this tread.

my mum (67) got diagnosed in Sep 2020 with primary lung cancer, stage 4, spreading to liver, lymph notes and brain (at that point 8 tumours).

she had chemo over 12 weeks and was given prednisone for the swelling of the brain along with a round of whole brain radiation.

Currently the main tumours are stabilised but they have found 10+ more small tumours in the brain (Apr 2021) so they offered her a second round of whole brain radiation (knowing it will most likely give her permanent brain damage, but not doing it would most definitely kill her)

she’s doing exceptionally well and doctors find it hard to believe she is looking so well, given her diagnose, so next step is to get out of the prednisone and on to immune therapy (keytruda) - so fingers crossed she can do it (last time before 2nd radiation, she ended up in hospital with swelling of the brain and was sleeping 20 hrs a day, so they upped the prednisone)

she has changed and are beginning to feel the effect of the second round and the damage it has done, if only it stays this level it’s manageable, but they can’t promise…

Given that we didn’t think she would have more than a couple of months in 2020, she’s done well and I’m so proud of still having her around. 

She lives in Denmark and I’m in U.K., so not seen her much due to Covid and massive travel restrictions - hoping for a brighter future Slight smile

• Hi, unfortunately mum took a turn for the worst yesterday. Her pain had been getting worse in her back despite her radiotherapy. Her leg felt funny yesterday snd during the night she got up to go to loo and collapsed . Looks like she might have another tumour next to her spinal cord . … MRI tomorrow and started on high dose immediate steroids. I’m so so worried snd desperately sad. They say they can maybe treat the new tumour with specific radiotherapy. I don’t know why the other radiotherapy didn’t stop it growing ? Hoping immunotherapy might help ? Anyone got any idea ? 

• Hi i’m sorry to hear this, it’s shocking news. i know what your going through. it’s very had to deal with. if they are using a specific type of radiotherapy therapy it may have missed that tumour. i think some of them are more targeted than others. like  SABR radiotherapy treatment which my mother had. the MRI tomorrow will hopefully give you some more info. don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions tomorrow if your allowed in. let me know how you get on. 

• wow i’m sure your are proud. that’s one hell of battle your mom is on. i’ve researched a bit on the immunotherapy drugs etc  they can work wonders for some people. your mom must be some fighter.