Immunotherapy problems

• 27 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi looking for advise, my dad has been having chemo and immunotherapy but has recently had issues with raised alt levels on his liver due to the immunotherapy. He's currently on a break k from it whilst on steroids. His levels are going down but the consultant has said he has to choose if he goes back onto the immunotherapy as it may possibly happen again. So just looking for advise really if anyone has been in this position? Can anyone help? 

• Grandmar 

That is fabulous news!! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story and giving us all the hope we need. Keep going, you are amazing!

Sal60

• Thank you for sharing your positive outcome and I wish you well for your future.

I am here because of my partner and I am up and down between being positive and terrified so each success story really, really helps me.

X

• Good evening, I’m just back to you now. I’ve been talking to a lung cancer nurse, my mothers own doctor & her consultant again. Ant they are all saying the same thing. They can’t decide weather the ct scan is show a cancer re-occurrence or scar tissue from the radiotherapy treatment, I’ve researched this and it seems to be a side effect from high-dose radiation treatment. So it’s a wait to see what’s going on. I had her at her own doctors to day. Fir some checks & chat. She’s confirmed the same. Her oxygen levels & other blood tests are ok. And her weight in still the same as it was six weeks ago. So it could be Polmary fibrosis of the lung. We will just to wait a see. It has the same symptoms as lung cancer. No energy and sleeping a lot. So how is your own mum doing with her threatment 

• Hi mark. 
    this is such a rollercoaster of a journey , I think we have to take the positives from this the bloods are oxygen are good and your mum has lost no weight in 6 weeks which is really good, 

If the doctors and oncologist and nurses are saying that it maybe from The radiotherapy treatment thats caused a side effect then I’m sure they have sat down and looked and discussed it much detail . So what have they said now then , is it just to wait and see what happens ?? 

my mum had her 3rd round of treatment last week,  so this week she is tierd and exhausted ,  hers is immunotherapy and 2 types of chemo in a drip, 

because it’s all the treatment in one not sure what is making her tierd and / exhausted /  

she had a ct scan shortly after the  second round of chemo  and it showed shrinkage in the tuma in her lung and spotting on her adrenal gland / she had a bone scan last week as they think they chemo may of damaged part of her rib, but they said they can give her medicine in her next session to heal that ,  

so happy the scan was good news / but then u feel like u don’t want to be happy incase anything else happens during treatment, x xxx 

how is your mum in herself is she feeling ok ? Xx

How are u x

• that’s fantastic news that the treatment is doing it’s job. i’m sure your over the moon about it. yes my mum has a lack of energy & can sleep several times during the day, the doctor said today she was dehydrated so i need to her to drink more water. it’s been very warm here this last 2 weeks   i don’t think that has helped either. so hopefully she feel a bit been in a day or two. also the shortness of breath doesn’t help either, but somedays she’s fit to go out to the local coffee shop, it strange how it goes one day she’s not to bad then the next she’s sleeping a lot. it’s hard to deal with at times. i’m off on holidays at the minute, but i think ive made my decision to quit work for a while, and see how things pan out. sometime i think just being there is a help also. 

• My mum was dehydrated the first round of treatment/. She been drinking robinsons barley as plain water Was awful after weeks of drinking it,

your right  each day is different , Wednesdays to Saturday mum we ok / Sunday till Now she slept non stop. 
     I am so happy about mum’s results / not told many people as so scared incase anything happens / so even if you get amazing news it’s still scary worrying of anything will change the next scan xxxx x 

i think your doing amazing helping x your on holiday are u ? Enjoy your holiday xx 

• thanks for the chat, yes it all seems to be going the right way for your mum. chat to you later thanks again xx 

• Thank you so much for your words of encouragement… it made me cry. I’m having a bad week. My mum has NSCLC and just completed radiotherapy. I think she is stage 3 . She is in a lot of pain . She has difficulty tolerating most of the painkillers. The next step is scan and ?? Immunotherapy.. I swing from thinking she will be able to contain snd manage her tumour and the next min I think ‘ who am I kidding , you need to face facts’ it’s difficult to remain positive … thank you, I might just be able to sleep tonight now . . Take care and good luck with everything xx

• Hi sorry I’m just seeing this now. I feel your pain, unfortunately this isn’t a easy path we are on. You should have ever faith about the radiotherapy treatment to do t it will do it’s job. I be know it’s hard waiting now scan results, but try & keep the spirits up. There’s more options out there as well for other treatments that are great at what they do also. What age is your mum if you don’t mind me asking 

• Thank you so much for replying ! Mum has just turned 80 but before all this she was slim, fit snd on no medications and no illnesses ( well she had breast cancer 20 years ago) she is completely independent. More like a fit 65 yr old ! She started her radiotherapy on her 80 th birthday . It’s just when nurses say things like ‘ the treatment is just to make you more comfortable’ when does a person become “ palliative “ … her consultant said they are treating it aggressively. .. I am a wee bit more positive today . I went to see her today and she was fairly bright , although morphine making her a bit dizzy . Does radiotherapy make your skin itch or would that be the morphine ? . 
    thanks again for your reply. It means so much . How are you doing ? X